Introduction to Greek grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation for the beginning student.
For information regarding prerequisites for this course, please refer to the Academic Course Catalog.
The primary mission of Liberty University's Rawlings School of Divinity (RSOD) is to train persons for ministry positions. This course seeks to enable students to understand and communicate properly God’s Word, which is a foundational function for ministry. One goal of RSOD is “to develop cognitive skills for ministry and scholarship through rigorous interaction with the biblical text. . . .” This course is the beginning of this “rigorous interaction” with the Greek New Testament.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize the characters of the Greek alphabet.
- Translate nouns, adjectives, pronouns, and prepositional phrases according to their basic functions.
- Translate the Indicative Mood forms of the Present Active, Present Middle (Deponent), Present Passive, Future Active, and Future Middle (Deponent) verbs.
- Parse the inflected form of verbs, nouns, adjectives, and pronouns.
- Translate Greek vocabulary words.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic syntax through translation.
Textbook Readings and Lecture Presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in the Course Overview.
Workbook Assignments (19)
The student will complete 19 workbook assignments from the workbook which apply the concepts from the chapter readings. (MLOs: A, B, C, D, E, F)
Each quiz will cover the Learn material for the modules: weeks in which it is assigned. Each quiz will be closed-book/closed-notes, contain between 5 and 25 true/false and multiple-choice questions, and have a 30-minute time limit. (MLOs: A, B, C, D, E)
Each Exam will cover the Learn material for the modules in which it is assigned. Each Unit Quiz will be closed-book/closed-notes, contain 80 true/false, multiple-choice, and short-answer questions, and have a 1 hour and 30 minute time limit. (MLOs: A, B, C, D, E, F)