Korean and Vietnam Wars – HIWD 375
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
The course examines military conflicts in East Asia throughout history, with an emphasis on the American experience in China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam. Focus is placed on strategy, operations and tactics in East Asia.
HIEU 202 or HIUS 380
This course provides a survey of the history of the use of force in two areas of East and Southeast Asia, which are of profound strategic importance today. An emphasis is placed on the American involvement in the last century with portending lessons for the future.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the historical trends dictating the natures of Korea and Vietnam throughout world history.
- Explain how a variety of historical factors caused and influenced the conduct and outcomes of the Korean and Vietnam wars.
- Demonstrate college-level competencies in reading comprehension, documentary analysis, research, and historical writing.
- Evaluate selected interpretative and historiographical approaches to the study of American involvement in East and Southeast Asia.
- Apply biblical principles in making interpretations of world military history.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations/notes
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (4)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student will create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be at least 300 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student will reply to the threads of at least 2 classmates. Each reply must be at least 100 words. For Discussion Board Forum 1, the student must film both the thread and the replies. The thread must be 1–2 minutes of student video and the replies must be 30–60 seconds of student video per reply.
The Midterm essay will consist of a comparison and/or contrast between the historical uses of military force by China and Japan as revealed in conflict with the U.S.
The Student will write a Final Essay in current Turabian format that focuses on The East Asian Military Experience as revealed or manifested in conflict with the U.S.
Each quiz will cover the Reading & Study material for the module/week in which it is assigned. Each quiz will be open-book/open-notes, contain 20 multiple-choice and true/false questions, and have a time limit of 45 minutes.