Survey of the New Testament II – GBST 164
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
A comprehensive survey of the New Testament books of Acts through Philippians.
The New Testament describes for the student the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ and the institution of His church. This knowledge is foundational to all other biblical studies and personal living.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Analyze the history and theology of each New testament book (Acts - Philippians).
- Recount the most important persons, places, and events recorded in the New Testament.
- Discuss the events of the life and teachings of the Apostle Paul.
- Explain the teaching of the New Testament concerning the role of the church.
- Describe the birth of the church and its subsequent growth under Paul’s apostleship.
- Apply the teaching and spiritual principles of the New Testament to one’s own life.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (4)
The student is required to create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be a minimum of 500 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to at least 2 other classmates’ threads. Each reply must be a minimum of 250 words.
Writing Assignments (2)
- Writing Assignment #1: Since the good news of Jesus is central to Christianity, the goal of this assignment is to address the nature of the gospel. Review and respond to the video: “The God Who Declares the Guilty Just.” This paper should not be over 4 pages in length.
- Review the video
- Write the main points of the presentation (1/2 page)
- Summarize the presentation (1 to 1-1/2 pages)
- Respond to the video
- Describe the gospel in one word
- Describe the gospel in a sentence
- Describe the gospel in a paragraph
- Describe the gospel in a page
- Review the video
- Writing Assignment #2: In Ephesians 3:14-21, Paul prays for the believers. He asks for some specific requests. The aim of this assignment is to discover what it means for God to give us “more than we can ask or think.” Develop a small group lesson that addresses Ephesians 3:14-21. This paper should be about 2 pages in length, no longer than 3 pages.
- Half page: What does Paul pray for? (“for this reason…”)
- Half page: Why does he pray for this? (“so that…”)
- Half page: What is the goal of praying for it? (“that you may have… and may be…”)
- Half page: In the context of Paul’s prayer, what does “more than we ask or think” refer to? (just a hint… it is not referring to our physical needs)
Each test will cover the Willmington textbook readings. Each test will be open-book/open-notes, contain multiple-choice and essay questions, and have a 1-hour time limit.