Public Health and Physical Activity – EXSC 640
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course focuses on the integration of public health and exercise science. The techniques used to measure physical activity, the effects of physical activity on health, and strategies for physical activity promotion will be examined. The scientific findings and applications that led to the emergence of the field of physical activity and public health are also examined.
The purpose of this course is to make students aware of the interrelationships between various diseases and disabilities that develop with inactivity. This course will allow the student to see the interactions between the area of public health and exercise science.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe how the emergence of the new field of physical activity and public health has occurred where the disciplines of public health and kinesiology overlap.
- Explain the health effects (and risks) of physical activity on chronic conditions, including cardiorespiratory and metabolic diseases, overweight and obesity, musculoskeletal disorders, functional health, cancers, and mental health.
- Explain the adverse effects of physical activity.
- Discuss common testing methods, evidence on the benefits of physical activity, and recommendations for physical activity promotion for populations.
- Evaluate evidence-based strategies for increasing physical activity, including informational, behavioral and social, and environmental and policy approaches.
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (4)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to provide a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be between 350–500 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 2 other classmates’ threads. Each reply must be between 200–250 words. The student must include at least 1 citation from either the course textbook or other scholarly source.
Physical Activity Log
The student will record his/her personal physical activity/exercise program for 14 days and submit a 1–3 page analysis and summary of his/her workout patterns.
The student will record his/her dietary habits over a 3 day, concurrent period and submit a 1–3 page analysis and summary based on the recommended daily values of: Carbohydrates, Fats, Protein, Vitamins, Water, and Minerals.
Community Physical Activity Assessment and Promotion Plan
CPA Annotated Bibliography
The student will write a brief summary in APA format of 3 scholarly articles that he/she plans to use for the CPA Assessment and Promotion Plan, to include his/her chosen community group and a brief explanation of his/her plan.
CPA Assessment and Promotion Plan
The student will write an 8–12 page, not including references, paper on Community Physical Activity/Wellness Promotion Initiative. The paper must include at least 5–8 scholarly sources in current APA format.
The exam will cover the Reading & Study material for modules 1–4. The exam will be open-book/open-notes, contain multiple-choice and essay questions, and have a 2-hr. time limit.