Culture and Educational Leadership – EDUC 848
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course deals with the complexities of multicultural issues in school systems by exploring the history, philosophy, and goals of multicultural education. Emphasis is given to the role of educational leaders in evaluating cultural issues in the context of a biblical worldview and developing practices that maximize the opportunities of cultural diversity.
Background Check Receipt
The landscape of America and its cultures are ever changing. Many factors create this climate of diversity in our country such as history, economy, politics, location, and region. This class will equip leaders to understand culture in a global sense that will assist administrators in understanding the historical context, current times, and a philosophy for cultural competence for the future.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop a biblical philosophy with regard to the practice of multicultural education.
- Evaluate the complexities of multicultural relations in American society.
- Examine demographic changes and their implications for effective practice in educational leadership.
- Analyze historical and present educational policies impacting the education of ethnic minority students.
- Develop leadership strategies for working with diverse student populations, their parents, and the school community.
- Assess curricular resources for elements of racism, stereotyping, and historical inaccuracies.
- Identify the components of an anti-bias learning community that provides a positive learning environment for all students.
- Determine the place of community resources in cultural learning and understanding.
Textbook readings, journal articles, presentations, and websites
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (4)
The candidate will complete 4 Discussion Board Forums throughout this course. The thread must be at least 350-450 words. Each of 2 replies must be at least 30-450 words. The thread and the 2 replies must each be supported by at least 1 reference cited in current APA format.
Cultural Proficiency Receptivity Scale and Reflection Paper
At the beginning of the course, the candidate will complete a self-evaluation survey. After all coursework has been completed, the candidate will take the same survey again and submit a 1–2-page Reflection Paper formatted according to current APA style.
Analysis of Approaches Paper
The candidate will write an analysis of approaches to multicultural education paper. The Analysis of Approaches Paper must be 4–5 pages, not including the title and reference pages, and must include at least 5 references cited in current APA format. You will submit a Topic Proposal for this paper prior to submitting the final draft. The Analysis of Approaches Paper must be submitted via SafeAssign.
Learning Logs (3)
The candidate will complete 3 learning logs throughout this course. Each learning log must be approximately 200 words and must cite the text in current APA format.
The candidate will write a 2–3-page Literature Review based on 2 assigned articles written from a biblical worldview. This review must be written in current APA format and must include a title page and reference pages. This assignment must be submitted via SafeAssign.
The candidate will write a 3–4-page report based on a case study he/she completes at an approved school. The report must include a summary of interviews, school demographic data, document analysis, conclusions, and a reference page in current APA format. You will submit a Topic Proposal for this Case Study prior to submitting the final Case Study.