An introductory course designed to develop practical conversational Spanish skills. Intended for students whose first language is not Spanish and/or have no previous Spanish training and/or experience.
The increasing importance of the Spanish language in the United States and the growth of a global marketplace make the study of Spanish and foreign languages valuable. It is the goal of the Spanish program at Liberty University for students to engage this world effectively in Spanish and to grow in their appreciation of the Hispanic cultures. This course recognizes the value of language study and assumes that the students are genuinely interested in learning to communicate more fluently in Spanish.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in the Course Overview.
Discussion: Class Introductions
To build a sense of community in the online classroom, students will introduce themselves to others in the course and get to know their peers by reading their posts.
Students will complete a total of 12 quizzes:
- Grammar assessments (4) will address certain learned vocabulary and/or grammatical concepts.
- To-Do List Quiz (1): This is a list of required readings and procedures the student will carry out in order to be successful in the course.
- Tutoring Session quizzes (5): After attending the required tutoring with the OFLL and Rosetta stone, the student will complete a quiz after each session to reflect on strengths and weaknesses through the tutoring session. (CLO: A, B, C)
- Language Learning Expectation quiz (1): The student will describe his/her background, expectations and plans for learning a second language. (CLO: F)
- Language Reflection quiz (1): The student will identity and reflect on his/her own language learning experiences. (CLO: D)
Rosetta Stone Assignments (4)
The student will work through Units 1–4 in Rosetta Stone. Each Rosetta Stone unit will have 5 lessons which the student will need to complete during the assigned module. Each unit will be graded as an average score from the core lessons and the milestone, plus participation in the in-between lessons, all of which assess student achievement during that unit. (CLO: A, B, C, D)
Spanish Video Assignment
The student will complete the Spanish Video Assignment on a topic given by the instructor. The student will complete the LU Online Foreign Language Lab Tutoring Session: Spanish Video Assignment to prepare for this assignment. (CLO: A, B, C)
Spanish Oral Interview Assignment
The student will complete an oral Spanish Oral Interview through the Liberty University Online Foreign Language Lab (LU OFLL). The assignment will require the student to participate in a one-on-one conversation with an LU OFLL tutor without relying on notes or English to convey meaning. Students might take an alternative oral assessment designed by the instructor if administration through LU OFLL is not possible. (CLO: A, B, C)