Issues of Christian Counseling – CCOU 202
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course provides the framework to the structure and issues surrounding biblical counseling and helping ministries. Special attention will be given to the dealing with spiritual warfare, “brief therapy” model of counseling, life transitions, and crisis care.
Our pressing concern at the inception of the 21st century is that people are hurting and searching frantically for hope and new life. If there is ever a time for godly leadership, servanthood, and biblical counsel, it is now. This course seeks to meet that challenge by equipping students to biblically guide individuals asking for help.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the biblical and ethical standards of the Christian counseling profession (PL01, PL04, PL06).
- Analyze the differences in Christian and secular counseling.
- Discuss the clinical/research-based understanding of mental health and wholeness (PL02, PL05).
- Discuss the ethical issues related to professional boundaries in Christian counseling (PL04, PL05).
- Apply Christian counseling techniques to specific counseling issues (PL03).
- Recognize diversity in counseling populations (PL06).
Textbook readings, lecture notes, and case studies.
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (3)
Throughout this course, the student will participate in 4 Discussion Board Forums. The forums are to promote critical thinking within the classroom and to produce knowledge useful to the learning journey. For each forum, the student will compose a thread and 2 replies in response to 2 other classmates’ threads. Threads are a response to the topic of discussion in the forum, and replies are a response to a classmate’s thread. Each thread must be at least 250 words in length, and each reply must be at least 150 words in length.
Case Study Forums (2)
Throughout the course, the student will participate in 2 Case Study Forums. For each Case Study Forum, the student will compose a thread and 2 replies in response to 2 other classmates’ threads. Threads are a response to the topic of discussion in the forum, and replies are a response to a classmate's thread. Each thread must be at least 350 words in length, and each reply must be at least 150 words in length.
Article Review Forum
Throughout the course, the student will review articles and participate in an Article Review Forum. For the Article Review Forum, the student will compose a thread and 2 replies in response to 2 other classmates’ threads. Threads are a review of the article in the forum, and replies are a response to a classmate's thread. Each thread must be at least 350 words in length, and each reply must be 150 words in length.
Each exam will cover the material presented in the corresponding module/week. Each exam will be open-book/open-notes, contain 50 multiple-choice and true/false questions, and have a time limit of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Ohlschlager & Clinton (2002) note that “trying to be culturally blind or color-blind diminishes the importance of unique differences in the client’s personality and lifestyle” (617). In fact, it is considered unethical to treat every culture and ethnicity in a uniform fashion in counseling. Research now indicates that different approaches and techniques may need to be utilized for each culture.
Using your textbook and 2 research journal articles of your choosing (use the Liberty University Online Library resources), research a population of your choice and answer the following questions in your essay.
- What are some of the key psychosocial issues for this population?
- What are some of the central therapeutic approaches?
- Would the population you are reasearching be difficult for you to work with? Are there any psychosocial issues this population exhibits that may evoke an emotional reaction in you?
- Based on your findings what do you believe (and what does research indicate) could be improved for this population in terms of current mental health services?
Submit your 500 word essay by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of Module/Week 7.