Advanced Financial Statement Analysis – BUSI 532
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course examines advanced techniques for evaluating the financial stability of a company through its financial statements, and how the financial statements may be used for strategic planning and decision making.
Financial Accounting with a score of 3 and Managerial Accounting with a score of 3 and Corporate Finance with a score of 3 and (Meets BMAL590 / 27 hrs in BUSI with a score of 3 or BMAL 590)
This course focuses on the acquisition, analysis, and interpretation of a company's publicly available financial statements. The creation of spreadsheets for quick analysis is stressed.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Pull apart financial statements to get at the relevant information.
- Understand the relevance of cash flows, dividends, earnings.
- Do ratio analysis for valuation.
- Tie profitability into valuation
- Analyze growth and value a growth firm.
- Know how to deal with the accounting methods used in financial statements.
- Understand a firm's P/E ratio and how to calculate what the P/E should be.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (3)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences that will allow students to compare and contrast ideas.
The student will complete a series of spreadsheet assignments using his/her individually chosen company.
Students will be assigned to a group and complete a comprehensive report on a new company.