Advanced Financial Statement Analysis – BUSI 532
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 10/30/2020
This course examines advanced techniques for evaluating the financial stability of a company through its financial statements, and how the financial statements may be used for strategic planning and decision making.
For information regarding prerequisites for this course, please refer to the Academic Course Catalog.
This course focuses on the acquisition, analysis, and interpretation of a company's publicly available financial statements. The creation of spreadsheets for quick analysis is stressed.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Pull apart financial statements to get at the relevant information.
- Understand the relevance of cash flows, dividends, earnings.
- Do ratio analysis for valuation.
- Tie profitability into valuation
- Analyze growth and value a growth firm.
- Know how to deal with the accounting methods used in financial statements.
- Understand a firm's P/E ratio and how to calculate what the P/E should be.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (3)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences that will allow students to compare and contrast ideas.
The student will complete a series of spreadsheet assignments using his/her individually chosen company.
Students will be assigned to a group and complete a comprehensive report on a new company.