Take Your Aviation Career to New Heights with Liberty’s PhD in Aviation Online
Are you an experienced pilot or aviation professional? Perhaps you’ve started a career in the aviation industry, and you’re looking for an advanced degree program that can help set you apart from your peers. If so, Liberty University’s 100% online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Aviation may be a great fit for you!
This doctoral aeronautical science degree is designed to help shape you into an aviation leader who is committed to investigating and solving aviation issues through research, educational leadership, and Christian ethical standards. This degree covers a wide range of current and historical issues affecting the aeronautic industry. Additionally, you can add to the existing knowledge base in this field through your dissertation.
Offered in mostly 8-week courses with no required flight or intensive courses, this program allows you to remain committed to your job, family, and community as you pursue your degree. Don’t put your full potential on hold any longer. Partner with us, gain valuable skills, and take your career in aviation to new heights!
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Aviation Management Degree?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to develop a rigorous, respected online degree program that challenges you to grow while respecting your personal commitments. This doctoral aeronautics degree offers access to an abundance of expert professors, a vast collection of research resources, and ample networking opportunities with like-minded peers.
In addition, Liberty University holds regional institutional accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) – meaning our degree programs have met rigorous academic requirements. Earning your PhD in Aviation from a university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from your peers.
Our PhD in Aviation online can also help prepare you to pursue exciting new career options. You could go on to become an aviation researcher, regulations consultant, airport manager, FAA safety inspector, or even a professor! No matter what your career goals in aviation are, this degree program can help provide the skills and tools needed for a variety of aviation-related careers.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Doctoral Degree in Aviation?
In this online PhD in Aviation, you will study various handpicked topics to help you become the aviation professional you aspire to be. Our doctoral aviation science program consists of core aviation courses, advanced focus classes, electives, research courses, and a dissertation sequence.
In the core section of your aviation PhD, you will begin by completing orientations to doctoral study and advanced aviation research. From there, you can choose between studying advanced aviation investigation or current practices and future trends in aviation. In the advanced focus section, you will study global aviation law, human factors and aviation automation, and the economic environment of aviation. You will also explore contemporary issues in aviation policy. The elective section of our program allows you to take 2 classes from our available doctoral aviation courses, so you can tailor your education to your interests.
Additionally, you’ll complete a section focused on research – where you’ll study advanced aviation statistics, quantitative methods of research, and qualitative research. You will also dive into a literature review for advanced research, study research concepts and methodology, and choose between courses in advanced quantitative or qualitative research.
From there, you will transition into your dissertation sequence. Your dissertation will allow you to research, write, and present your findings. You will then defend your dissertation and have the opportunity for it to be archived and published upon a successful defense. The dissertation gives you the chance to develop scholarly findings and contribute to the base of knowledge in your field.
- AVIA 710 – Global Aviation Law
- AVIA 735 – Human Factors and Aviation Automation
- AVIA 745 – The Economic Environment of Aviation
- AVIA 755 – Contemporary Issues in Aviation Policy
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our PhD in Aviation Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- This degree offers you access to vast research resources, expert professors, and like-minded peers.
- You can complete our online PhD in Aviation in as little as 3 years!
PhD in Aviation Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Aeronautics.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Aeronautics Course Guides (login required).
What Can You Do with a PhD in Aviation Degree?
- Aircraft manufacturer manager
- Aircraft manufacturer safety program manager
- Airline safety program manager
- Airport manager
- Aviation researcher
- Aviation trainer
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) safety inspector
- Military senior leader
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s PhD in Aviation
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.