My Career Advancement (MyCAA) – Military Spouse TA
Below is a snapshot of what My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Tuition Assistance will cover for eligible military spouses. Please review the MyCAA Fact Sheet we have received from MyCAA. To determine your eligibility, please visit the MyCAA Portal or contact a MyCAA Counselor directly at (800) 342-9647.
- Spouses of Active Duty or activated National Guard/Reserve members (pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2) in the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Navy may qualify. The Coast Guard does not participate in the program at this time.
- Must be seeking an Associate’s degree, certificate, or licensure to qualify
- May pay $2000 per year, up to $4000 total
- MyCAA does not cover any fees (ex: class fees, books, etc…).
What You Need to Know
If you have not used MyCAA Tuition Assistance before, your first step is to contact a MyCAA Counselor at (800) 342-9647 for assistance with getting started. You will need to make sure your MyCAA account is up-to-date and that you are aware of all the requirements and regulations for you to use MyCAA funding.
We’ve outlined a few items below we want you to be aware of as you utilize your Tuition Assistance at Liberty University:
- MyCAA will only cover an Associate’s degree, certificate, or licensure program that expands employment and career opportunities (excluding General Studies, Liberal Arts, and Interdisciplinary Studies that do not have a concentration). If you would like to speak with a MyCAA counselor regarding their eligibility requirements, you may call (800) 324-9647.
- MyCAA requests must be submitted and approved by MyCAA between 1 and 60 days prior to the start date of the course. Funding requests cannot be approved outside of this window of time. See the TA Request Timeframe chart for more information.
- You will manually enter the course information on your funding request. Make sure you have all the correct information before you submit your request. The information needed includes:
- The course subject code and number (ex: ENGL 100)
- The course title (ex: Basic Composition)
- The course dates (ex: Summer B term, 5/11/20 – 7/3/20)
- The cost per course (ex: undergraduate cost is $250 per credit hour)
- MyCAA requires all students submit an Education and Training Plan prior to any MyCAA funds being approved for courses. Please email LUMilitary@liberty.edu to request a personalized Education and Training plan. Read more about Education and Training Plans below.
- The GI Bill® (all chapters including Ch. 33 and 35), most outside scholarships, and MyCAA funding are not refundable to the student and therefore may need to be adjusted based on your eligibility. If a student is planning on using a combination of these benefits within the same semester, please email LUMilitary@liberty.edu to verify if these types of aid can be combined.
- We will automatically submit your grades to MyCAA within 30 days of the course end date. However, it is your responsibility to make sure that MyCAA receives this information. Please let us know if you have any concerns about your grades being submitted on time.
What is an Education and Training Plan (ETP)?
Prior to requesting MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA), military spouses are required to work with their school to develop an Education and Training Plan. Before any funding can be approved by MyCAA, this plan must be uploaded by the spouse to their MyCAA Account for review and acceptance.
Your Education and Training Plan will include the following information:
- Student’s Name
- School’s contact information
- Degree Program and Level
- Detail of all required education
- Program Duration (estimated start and end date of program)
- Any transfer credit applied to the degree
- Estimated cost of program
Please email LUMilitary@liberty.edu to request a personalized Education and Training plan. Liberty University is unable to create official degree plan documentation until after you are officially accepted to your program. If you have any questions about what is next in the admissions process, you may call a(n):
- Online Admissions Counselor: (800) 424-9595
- Resident Admissions Counselor: (800) 543-5317
We are required to verify the cost of your attendance on your MyCAA Education and Training Plan. Because of this, if you are planning to utilize the discounted military tuition rate and other military benefits available for online military spouses (as defined by Liberty University), you will want to ensure your military documentation has been submitted and approved prior to requesting your Education and Training Plan. If you have any questions about what is needed, you may contact us for more information.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.