When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.
Apply Give

Veterans Affairs (VA) GI Bill® Chapter 33 Post-9/11


Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefit Summary

Below is a quick snapshot of how the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) processes Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits and its general eligibility requirements. To fully determine your eligibility for this benefit, please contact the VA directly at (888) 442-4551.

  • Available for current service members and veterans (with an honorable discharge) with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 10, 2001 or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.
  • If you served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. See Eligibility Requirements for more information.
  • The school will receive payment for tuition and fees directly from the VA based on your percentage of eligibility.
  • Students are issued a book stipend and a monthly housing stipend while attending courses (if eligible) directly by the VA, based on the percentage of eligibility and rate of pursuit. See more details below. Check our Post-9/11 Pay Rates page for detailed pay rates information.

How to use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33):

Click the steps below to read more.

1. Complete Veterans Affairs paperwork

2. Contact the Office of Military Affairs

3. GI Bill is processed

4. Complete Financial Check-In (FCI)

5. VA Releases Funds

6. Verify Enrollment Monthly

7. Keep the VA Updated on Any Changes



Post-9/11 GI Bill® Policies

Click a policy below to read more.

Book Stipend

Degree Completion Plan (DCP)

Effective Date


Housing Stipend (Monthly Housing Allowance – MHA)

Processing Policies and Timeline


Transfer of Entitlement

Tuition Assistance and Veterans Benefits

Yellow Ribbon Program

Liberty University has partnered with the Veterans Affairs (VA) Administration to offer the Yellow Ribbon Program to students with 100% eligibility under the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.

This program allows degree-granting institutions of higher learning in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will match the same amount as the institution.

What does it cover?

  • The Yellow Ribbon Program at Liberty University covers up to 100% of tuition and fees over the Post-9/11 GI Bill yearly tuition cap (50% funded by Liberty University and 50% funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs).
  • The cap on Yellow Ribbon funds is currently unlimited for all programs, except for programs within the School of Aeronautics. Yellow Ribbon funds for online and residential Aeronautics programs will be capped at $11,500 per year.
  • All students with 100% eligibility may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
    • Effective August 1, 2022, Active Duty students and their spouses are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program if qualified at the 100% rate.
    • Students must have remaining months of entitlement and not exhausted their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • The Yellow Ribbon Program only applies to tuition and associated fees. Housing expenses and other voluntary fees are not covered.
  • Most online students who are eligible for Yellow Ribbon are not likely to need this additional coverage due to lower tuition costs.

How do I apply?

  1. Follow the instructions on the Post-9/11 GI Bill Guide to set up your benefit at Liberty University.
  2. Eligible students will automatically receive Yellow Ribbon funding on their account when the standard Post-9/11 credit does not cover 100% of their tuition and fees.
  3. If you have any questions, please contact us at VABenefits@liberty.edu.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Chat Live Chat Live Request Info Request Info Apply Now Apply Now Visit Liberty Visit Liberty