When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.
Apply Give

Deployment -Tips for Success

Liberty University thanks you for your service and commitment to our country.  When facing deployment, there are many issues on your mind.  We have provided a few tips we believe are important to effectively balance your service and educational goals.

Complete FERPA Release Form

  • Using Liberty University’s FERPA PIN system, a student may grant permission to release some or all private information to persons that he or she designates.  The FERPA PIN can be accessed through the student’s ASIST account. Go to the General Information tab on ASIST, and then select the FERPA Personal Identification Number menu option. A student may grant permission to release some, or all, private information to persons they designate in their ASIST account. A designated point of contact must have the FERPA PIN and their name on the student’s account to access their information. A FERPA can be used for an individual to discuss your student account, but a Power of Attorney is required to allow someone else to add/drop courses and sign any documents in your place.

Grant Power of Attorney (POA)

  • A POA is needed so someone else may act on your behalf when you are away on military orders with limited or no internet and phone access.
  • There are different kinds of Power of Attorney (POA):
    • A Special POA is just that — it is used for specific acts that you want done.  Special POAs can be good for a short period of time but not longer than a year.
    • A General POA allows the person to act as if they were you.  They can do everything that you can do. It is important that you give a General POA to someone you completely trust.
  • It is very hard to revoke a POA once you have given a person the power.  Provide the original POA to the person you are giving the power to, and keep a copy for your records.
  • See your local military Legal Assistance Office or Judge Advocate General (JAG), for preparation and execution of a POA.

Make copies of all applicable Education & Military documents

Give them to a person you trust (i.e. the person you gave POA/FERPA).

  • LES
    • DFAS only retains Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) records for 1 year.  LES documents from prior years may be required for Financial Aid Verification.
  • W-2
    • Keep at least 5 years of W-2s in case you are audited by the IRS or if these records are needed for Financial Aid Verification.
  • Military Orders
    • Keep a copy of your current orders and provide a copy to a person you trust (i.e. the person you gave POA/FERPA).