Gifts and Incentives
Gifts and incentives (i.e. giveaways, prizes, employee recognitions, awards, benevolence items, etc.) may be purchased on behalf of the University through a P-Card or purchase order, provided the gift is:
- Given for a business purpose
- Not given on a frequent or recurring basis to any one recipient, and
- Not given to a Liberty University employee ranked higher than the purchaser of the gift
When a gift is purchased and disbursed, the purchaser or presenter of the gift must submit an Incentive/Gift Reporting Form to Accounts Payable (Green Hall, room 2775) within 14 days of disbursement. The form must detail the document number of the gift purchase, where the gift was purchased, the type and cost of gift, date of gift disbursement, and the reason for the gift. Depending on the type and cost of the gift, the form must also include the recipient’s information for tax reporting purposes.
In all cases when a cash or cash-equivalent gift is disbursed, the recipient’s information is required. If the gift was neither cash nor cash-equivalent, the recipient’s information is required only when
- the gift is valued at or greater than $25 and the recipient is an employee or student, or
- the gift is valued at or greater than $100 and the recipient is not affiliated with Liberty University (e.g. donor, host, alumnus, prospective employee, or speaker).
For questions regarding gift and incentive reporting and policies, please contact Accounts Payable by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (434) 592-3166 and see the Incentive/Gift Reporting Procedures.