FAFSA: Application for Financial Aid
Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for federal grants, work study, loans, or Liberty University scholarships. It’s your first step in applying for financial aid!
The FAFSA is available each year and uses already filed tax data to determine aid eligibility, making it easier than ever.
The 2024-25 FAFSA is now open: As the 2024-25 FAFSA opens, we want to ensure you have the information you need to complete the application and also the proper expectations related to its availability and financial aid processing. Click below to learn more!
2024-2025 FAFSA Launch: Click to learn more about what to expect!
- Complete the FAFSA to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid. All U.S. citizens (and eligible non-citizens) are required to complete the FAFSA each school year. You can complete it online at StudentAid.Gov.
- Students at Liberty University must complete the FAFSA annually to be considered for all federal financial aid and most Liberty-given financial aid.
- Create a Federal Student ID (FSA ID) to log in and sign your completed FAFSA.
- You and your FAFSA Contributor will be required to provide consent to the IRS via the Direct Data Exchange to provide your tax information to the Department of Education. If you and any other applicable contributors to your FAFSA do not provide the consent for your tax information to be transferred to your FAFSA, you will not be eligible for federal financial aid.
Tips & Info
- Select Liberty University to be added to your FAFSA (school code: 010392)
- FAFSA priority deadlines:
- Fall Semester: January 15
- Spring Semester: October 1
- We recommend that you renew your FAFSA annually at least four months before you start classes.
- FAFSA options when you log in at StudentAid.Gov:
- The 2023-2024 FAFSA became available to complete on October 1, 2022. It will be available through June 30, 2024.
- The 2024-25 FAFSA will be available December 2023 and close on June 30, 2025.
- Check out Federal Student Aid’s 2023-2024 FAFSA preview presentations for screenshots and helpful information about filling out your FAFSA!
- If you are selected for Verification (the process of confirming the accuracy of the information reported on your FAFSA with the Department of Education), all requested documents must be submitted and received before we will review your account. Submit all documentation requested as soon as possible to prevent a delay in your aid processing or a loss of your aid eligibility.
- We will communicate with you through your Liberty email account and your Student Checklist, so be sure to check these accounts often.
Cost of Attendance Allowance
Liberty University Student Financial Services establishes the annual cost of attendance allowances to help students and their families prepare financially for the academic year.
Housing Status Verification Form
To provide you with the most accurate cost of attendance, we need to determine if your off campus living arrangement is with your parent(s). If you do live off campus with your parent(s), please complete this electronic form.
Computer Rental/Purchase Self-Certification Form
In order to provide you with the most accurate Cost of Attendance for an academic year, you may self-certify if you have purchased or rented a laptop or computer during a semester in the applicable academic year. TO do so, please complete this electronic form.
IRS Tax Return Transcript
We may request your IRS Transcript if you filed an amended tax return or if there is conflicting information in your file.
- If you have had any amendments made to your tax information, you will also need to submit a copy of the signed and completed IRS Form 1040-X that was submitted to the IRS.
- In order to decrease fraudulent activity, the IRS has removed the ability for institutions to receive a student’s Tax Return Transcript via fax or mail directly from the IRS. Individuals requesting their tax transcripts are recommended to use the IRS.gov “Get Transcript Online” or “Get Transcript by Mail” services. To obtain a copy, please go to www.irs.gov and select “Get My Tax Record” and select the “Get Transcript Online” option. You may also call 800-908-9946 for an automated “Get Transcript by Mail” feature. Please scan and email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to (434) 582-2053 with your Liberty ID at the top of each page.
Updating your FAFSA
Log into your account at https://studentaid.gov/ and select the option to make a correction.