FAFSA: Application for Financial Aid
Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for federal grants, work study, loans, or Liberty University scholarships. It’s your first step in applying for financial aid!
The FAFSA is now available each year on October 1st and uses already filed tax data to determine aid eligibility, making it easier than ever.
What You Need To Do
- Complete the FAFSA to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid. All U.S. citizens (and eligible non-citizens) are required to complete the FAFSA each school year. You can complete it online at StudentAid.Gov or you can complete it on your mobile device! Download the myStudentAid app through Apple Apps and Google Play. You can use the app to complete the FAFSA and keep track of your federal grant and loan usage.
- Create a Federal Student ID (FSA ID) to log in and sign your completed FAFSA.
- You will need to input income information onto your FAFSA for the applicable aid year. This can be done manually by referring to your IRS Tax Return Transcript or by downloading the information directly onto the FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Tips & Info
- Select Liberty University to be added to your FAFSA (school code: 010392)
- FAFSA priority deadlines:
- Fall Semester: January 15
- Spring Semester: October 1
- We recommend that you renew your FAFSA annually at least four months before you start classes.
- FAFSA options when you log in at StudentAid.Gov:
- The 2021-2022 FAFSA will open on October 1, 2020.
- Eligible students can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the myStudentAid app
- If you are selected for Verification (the process of confirming the accuracy of information reported on your FAFSA with the Department of Education), all requested documents must be submitted and received before we will review your account. Submit all documentation requested as soon as possible to prevent a delay in your aid processing or a loss of your aid eligibility.
- We will communicate with you through your Liberty email account and your ASIST account, so be sure to check these accounts often.
IRS Tax Return Transcript
We may request your IRS Transcript if you filed an amended tax return or if there is conflicting information in your file.
- If you have had any amendments made to your tax information, you will also need to submit a copy of the signed and completed IRS Form 1040X that was submitted to the IRS.
- In order to decrease fraudulent activity, the IRS has removed the ability for institutions to receive a student’s Tax Return Transcript via fax or mail directly from the IRS. Individuals requesting their tax transcripts are recommended to use the IRS.gov “Get Transcript Online” or “Get Transcript by Mail” services. To obtain a copy, please go to www.irs.gov and select “Get My Tax Record” and select the “Get Transcript Online” option. You may also call 800-908-9946 for an automated “Get Transcript by Mail” feature. Please scan and email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to (434) 582-2053 with your Liberty ID at the top of each page.
Updating your FAFSA
Log into your account at https://studentaid.gov/ and select the option to make a correction.