Book Dollars, Book Vouchers & Flames Cash Advances
Book Dollars are funds that can be used for books and supplies. They do not have to be paid back and are available to new residential students during their first semester based on when Financial Check-In is completed.
Here’s how it works:
- Book Dollars are awarded to qualified new resident students, based on their date of FCI.
- Book Dollars are only available for the first semester.
- Book Dollars do pay toward Inclusive Access fees and Online Course fees prior to releasing to the bookstore.
- Funds are automatically released to the Flames Pass for use at the bookstore approximately 20 days prior to the start of classes and will expire approximately 40 days after the start of classes.
- Funds may only be used at the on-campus Barnes & Noble bookstore.
- Any unused Book Dollar amounts will not be refunded or carried over as a future credit.
- You can visit the bookstore to exchange unused Book Dollars for Barnes & Noble gift cards prior to the expiration date. Contact the bookstore directly for more details about when this option becomes available each semester.
- See more on the Scholarships page
Students using certain types of financial aid or a payment plan may be able to pay for books and supplies by requesting a Book Voucher. This allows you to add funds for books and supplies to your account that you can pay for later in a payment plan.
Here’s how it works:
Residential Students and Online Graduate Students:
- You can request a Book Voucher through Financial Check-In (FCI). It will be charged to your account and can be incorporated into payment plan arrangements.
- Available approximately six weeks prior to the start of the semester.
- Additional funds may be added to a current Book Voucher through FCI. You will need to re-complete FCI to save your changes.
- You cannot decrease your current Book Voucher amount in FCI.
- The maximum dollar amount you can request in a book voucher each semester is $1,000.
- Any unused Book Voucher funds will be returned to your account prior to the end of the semester.
- Resident students: The Book Voucher is available through your Flames Pass and can only be used at the on-campus Barnes & Noble Bookstore.
- Online Graduate students*: The Book Voucher can only be used at the online bookstore, BNC Virtual. If a voucher is requested within the six weeks prior to the start of the semester, the voucher should be available approximately 24-72 hours after the request was submitted. A confirmation number and instructions will be sent to your Liberty email from BNC Virtual.
*Note: Online Student Book Vouchers are only for use to purchase course materials at the online bookstore. If an Online Student needs to request a Book Voucher for purchase of additional supplies or electronics (ie. a laptop), the student must request consideration for a Residential Student Book Voucher by contacting the Student Accounts Office. Request are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Student Accounts Office
Phone: (434) 592-3600
Check out the Liberty Information Services Book Voucher/Dollar Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)!
Did you know?
Book Dollars and Vouchers can be used to purchase digital content, including Top Hat, through the Residential and Online Bookstores.
Top Hat is an interactive, cloud-based teaching platform that enables professors to engage students inside and outside the classroom using devices they already own.
Online Undergraduate Students:
- Online undergraduate students will not be able to automatically request a Book Voucher through Financial Check-In (FCI). Instead, you will need to contact the Student Accounts Office to request that the option to add a Book Voucher through FCI be made available to you. These requests can be made by phone call, email, or student chat using the contact information above.
Inclusive Access (IA) is an enhanced educational experience that leverages various interactive learning platforms by converting print content from top publishers into digital content. Beginning with the Fall 2018 semester, LUO Undergraduate students will have their Inclusive Access fees waived, meaning electronic textbooks are provided for all online undergraduate courses at no cost to the student.
Beginning in the Spring 2019 semester, the Inclusive Access Fee will be charged and subsequently waived for students taking eligible online Graduate and Doctoral courses in the School of Divinity.
Flames Cash Advance
Flames Cash Advances are funds that you have loaded onto your Flames Pass (your student ID).
Here’s how it works:
- You can request a Flames Cash Advance during Financial Check-In (FCI). The amount will be charged to your account and can be incorporated into payment plan arrangements.
- The funds are available approximately six weeks prior to the start of the semester.
- Access the funds through your Flames Pass.
- Funds can be used at the on-campus Barnes & Noble bookstore and a variety of vendors on campus and vendors off campus.
- Funds do not expire and will not be returned to your account.
- Visit the Flames Cash page for more information.