Firearms on Campus
Conceal Carry at Liberty
Students, faculty/staff, and visitors are permitted to conceal carry while on campus. Individuals who conceal carry at Liberty must have valid state permit available at all times and be able to present it upon request.
Liberty Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP)
Students and faculty/staff must have a Liberty Conceal Weapons Permit in order to conceal carry on campus. Not sure if you need a Liberty CWP? If you have an LU ID number, you need to apply for a Liberty CWP.
Get a Liberty Concealed Weapons Permit
- Take the Firearms Safety Course with the Liberty Mountain Gun Club
- Pass the course and print off the Certificate
- Apply for your State Conceal Permit with your certificate
- Wait for your State Permit in the mail
- Fill out the online application and have your Driver’s License and State Permit available.
*If you have your State CWP and do not wish to use our range, you may skip this step
LUPD offers weapon storage services, available 24/7 for check-in and out, for students who live on campus and wish to bring their firearms with them. LUPD stores long guns, handguns, ammunition, and other LU-approved recreational weapons within our facility. To qualify for weapon storage you must be a residential student with an on-campus housing assignment.
To request storage space with LUPD, please submit the Weapon Storage Application.
For those with a concealed carry permit who wish to store your registered concealed weapon, you are eligible for safe installation within your dorm room. Please see our front desk staff for further information on receiving a safe for your dorm room.*
*You and your roommate(s) must be present in the LUPD front office to receive a safe
If You Notice Someone Carrying a Weapon
The likelihood of seeing someone on campus conceal carrying is increasing due to the number of individuals who have chosen to participate in our Conceal Carry Policy.
If you see someone carrying and they are not concealing, you are encouraged to call the University Police, give a description of the individual, and location. You may remain anonymous.
A police officer will be dispatched to locate and contact the person to confirm that they are lawfully carrying the weapon.
Other institutions permitting students and others to have concealed weapons with state permit and/or campus police permission include:
- University of Colorado
- Colorado State University
- Aims Community College
- Arapahoe Community College
- Colorado Northwestern Community College
- Community College of Aurora
- Community College of Denver
- Front Range Community College
- Lamar Community College
- Morgan Community College
- Northeastern Junior College
- Otero Junior College
- Pikes Peak Community College
- Pueblo Community College
- Red Rocks Community College
- Trinidad State Junior College
- Michigan State University
- University of Mississippi
- University of Utah
- Utah State University
- Southern Utah University
- Utah Valley University
- Weber State University
- Dixie State College of Utah
- College of Eastern Utah
- Snow College
- Salt Lake Community College