Elections allow every student to play a role in choosing the leadership of the Student Government Association. Class Officers are elected during the fall semester. The Student Body President and Vice-President are elected during the spring semester. Election rules and procedures are the constitutional responsibility of the Chief Justice, who is tasked with ensuring a fair and impartial election for all candidates.
Student Body Elections
Student Body Elections are held near the end of each spring semester. Specific election information, including candidate profiles, will be provided on this page and SGA’s social media as available.
Spring 2021 Student Body Election Dates
- Application Open: Monday, January 11th
- Candidate Interest Meeting: Thursday, February 4th, 7pm
- Application Deadline: Wednesday, March 17th, 11:59pm
- Candidate Orientation: Thursday, March 18th, 7pm
- Debate: Tuesday, March 30th, 7pm
- Election Week: Monday, April 5th-Wednesday, April 7th
- Election Day: Wednesday, April 7th, 12am-5pm
- Announcement of Results: Wednesday, April 7th, 5pm
- Inauguration: Tuesday, April 13, 7pm
Learn more about each team!
- Shea and Cade: http://www.sheacade21.com/
- Evan and Jess: https://linktr.ee/evanjess21
- Payne and Butler: https://938408a0-trial.flowpaper.com/PayneButler2021/#page=1
Class Officer Elections
Class Officer Elections are held in late September. Specific election information including candidate profiles will be provided on this page and SGA’s social media as available.
Fall 2020 Class Officer Election Dates
- Application Open: Fall 2020
- Application Deadline: Friday, September 25th, 5 pm
- Candidate Orientation: Monday, September 28th, 7 pm
- Election Week: Monday, October 5th – Wednesday, October 7th
- Class Officer Mixer: Tuesday, October 6th, 7 pm
- Election Day: Wednesday, October 7th, 12 am – 5 pm
- Announcement of Results: Wednesday, October 7th, 6 pm
- Inauguration: Monday, October 12th, 7 pm
Election Rules and Procedures
Election rules and procedures are the constitutional responsibility of the Election Commissioner, assisted by the Election Committee. The election rules and procedures document are available above for each election, but are subject to change. The election rules for each election will be final as of the end of the Candidate Orientation for that election.
The Election Committee consists of the Chief Justice, Student Body President, Student Body Vice-President, Speaker of the House of Delegates, and the pro tempore of the Senate. The Committee serves as an advisory board to the Election Commissioner in revising and updating the Election Rules. As the impartial, unbiased party, the Election Commissioner has full authority over any rule change decisions, though he or she may defer to a vote or delegate power in another way.
The Election Board consists of the Election Commissioner and four undergraduate students who do not currently have another position within SGA. The Election Board is tasked with implementing and enforcing the Election Rules. Members of the Election Board are nominated by the Election Commissioner and confirmed by the Election Committee.
If you are interested in serving on the Election Board or have any additional questions regarding elections, please contact Annaliese Vanio, the Election Commissioner.