School Counseling Practicum Information
The primary focus of the School Counseling Practicum (COSC 698/COSC 692) for the M.Ed in School Counseling program is to introduce candidates to the counseling environment and the development of counseling-related skills, ethics, and professionalism based on school activities.
Successful completion of Gate 2 (COSC 500); Ethical & Legal Issues in Counseling (COSC 501); Counseling Techniques (COSC 505); Theories of School Counseling (COSC 510); Structured Groups (COSC 512); Practicum Application Gate 2.5 (COSC 513); Human Growth and Development (COUC 502, CMHC 502, or COUN 502); Multicultural Counseling (COUC 504, CMHC 504, or COUN 504).
School Site: One placement in an elementary or secondary (middle or high) school setting.
Site Supervisor: A Licensed School Counselor currently working in a counseling setting and who has at least two years of counseling experience and training in counselor supervision.
Hours: The School Counseling Practicum course is the first field experience for school counseling candidates designed to build counseling skills at the elementary or secondary school setting under the supervision of a licensed school counselor on-site supervisor and faculty supervisor. The practicum experience will include a minimum of 100 hours, with at least 40 of these hours as direct services with K-12 students. Candidates must serve a minimum of 10 weeks at the school site to earn the required 100 hours.
- Successful completion of COSC 513 Gate 2.5 /Practicum Application
In order to apply for COSC 513 Gate 2.5 Practicum Application, please contact Academic Advising to ensure you meet the pre-requisites and to register for this course.
This 14-16-week course is delivered in a hybrid format, both online via Canvas®, a digital synchronous platform, as well as in-person training at a physical site for a minimum of 100 hours. Students complete one module per week over the duration of the course. Students are required to meet face-to-face with their site supervisor on site as well as face-to-face via digital synchronous platform for weekly group supervision and instruction with their faculty supervisor.
- ASCA Membership/Liability Insurance
- 3.0 cumulative GPA or above
- TB negative test results
- PRAXIS proof of registration
- Completed background clearance results
- Secured practicum site and approved site supervisor
- Licensure trainings/certifications
- Recorded Individual Counseling session
- Verbatim transcript of counseling session
- Psychoeducational Small Group program
- Case Conceptualization and School Services Plan
- Site Supervision & Evaluation of Candidate Performance Pre-Advanced Internship Assessment
- Counselor Dispositions
- Field Experience Summary (FES)
- Livetext to document direct and indirect service hours, as well as site and faculty supervision hours.
Please refer to the COSC 698/COSC 692 Practicum manual for detailed descriptions of all required assignments.
- Hold a minimum of a master’s degree in counseling or a related profession with equivalent qualifications
- Hold an appropriate professional, state-recognized license/certification
- Have a minimum of two years of professional experience in the counseling profession
- Currently working in a counseling setting
- Have a knowledge of Liberty University’s School Counseling program and practicum requirements as outlined on the School Counseling Home Page
- Completed Pre-Advanced Internship Assessment Site Supervisor Scorer Training
- Reviewed Liberty University’s School Counseling Practicum Manual located on the School Counseling home page