Fine-tune Your Talent and Train for Success with Liberty’s Music and Worship Master’s Degree
It’s time to take the next step in your journey toward a career in music and worship. If you have obtained a bachelor’s degree in music, but recognize the need to stand out in the competitive music industry, consider graduate studies. Our Master of Arts in Music and Worship has a specialization in commercial music performance so that you can train under industry professionals with state-of-the-art equipment in preparation for a career like no other.
Whether your passion is to serve as a worship leader, or you have a dream of performing as a contemporary Christian artist, this graduate degree provides the tools and experience you need to make a name for yourself in the field. Develop your specific musical talent, while receiving career and spiritual guidance from our experienced music faculty.
Our School of Music is one of the largest in the nation. We are excited to offer degrees that are innovative, yet remain faithful to our Christian beliefs. Get ready for a master’s degree that truly prepares you to give your life to the Lord through music and worship.
At Liberty, you’ll find an affordable, high-quality education that equips students like you for the real world. Our commitment to excellence helped us rank as Niche.com’s #4 college campus in America. Earning your degree from a nonprofit university with state-of-the-art resources like ours can help set you apart from your peers.
Why Choose Liberty’s Commercial Music Performance Master’s Degree?
Gain real-world experience in the commercial music industry before you walk the stage at graduation. Choosing Liberty means partnering with one of the largest music schools in the nation. You will benefit from countless rehearsal rooms, state-of-the-art lighting and audio technology, and our very own professional music publishing and recording company, Liberty Music Group (LMG).
Pursue your graduate studies in music and worship under professors who know the industry better than anyone. At Liberty, you will have access to 45 full-time faculty who have earned their degrees from Liberty and other prestigious music schools in the nation. Because of their investment into each student, we have seen our alumni go on to release award-winning albums and perform with big names like Carrie Underwood, TobyMac, and Keith Urban.
Earning a graduate degree in music and worship will prepare you for a job. Earning your degree from Liberty will prepare you for a long and successful career by helping you stand out and thrive in the competitive field of commercial music.
What Will You Learn in Our Music and Worship in Commercial Music Performance Degree?
The core curriculum of our music and worship degree allows you to analyze the historical differences in music literature and practice, from the Old Testament through the modern period. You will also learn how to apply various melodic concepts and music forms to contemporary worship, including jazz and extended harmonies, as you study advanced music theory.
If you choose our commercial music performance concentration, you will complete various graduate ensemble courses where you will experience and participate in events, concerts, and professional development opportunities with many different styles of music. Additionally, these classes prepare our graduate students for presentations and events throughout the semester.
Not only that, but you will take private lessons specializing in your specific talent, whether that is voice, guitar, piano, or a woodwind instrument. You will develop strong conducting skills and an understanding of how to teach principles in music and worship, as well.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below for more information.
MUSC 589 – Graduate Ensemble
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- This ensemble is open to all Liberty University graduate students by audition and offers the opportunity to experience and participate in various styles of music.
- Special attention is given to the preparation and presentations of the Night of Worship (spring), Christmas on the Boulevard (fall), and other campus and area events.
WMUS 515 – Graduate Conducting for the Worship Leader
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Intermediate and advanced instruction in conducting techniques for worship leaders in traditional and non-traditional worship settings
- A review of conducting gestures and patterns; advanced score interpretation, rehearsal management and technique, special problems in vocal and instrumental situations
WMUS 550 – Applied Music
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Graduate private lessons in guitar, piano, voice, and/or woodwinds
- Technical exercises, chords, and chord progressions, and development of music reading and performance skills in classic and contemporary styles
WRSP 501 – The Dynamics of Corporate Worship
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- This course involves a study of the dynamic influences of personal, biblical, historical, professional, and practical worship to the corporate ministry of the local church.
- Application is made to the presentation and influence of singing, praying, preaching, evangelism, and the great modern revival movements on corporate worship in the church today.
- Graduate students complete a personal assessment that relates honest, genuine, unhindered, and biblical worship to their own responsibility to music, prayer, evangelism, preaching, and corporate ministry.
Highlights of Our Master’s in Music and Worship Degree
- Nearly a 100% job placement rate for our recent residential graduate students.
- 141,000-square-foot Center for Worship has been voted “Best of the Best in Higher Education” six years in a row by Worship Leader Magazine.
- We offer exceptional opportunities for our students including our 2.2 million dollar state-of-the-art recording studio and songwriting labs. In partnership with the Michael W. Smith Center for Commercial Music, students also have the opportunity to have their original music published before they graduate!
- Designated as an “All Steinway” school.
- Liberty University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and is regionally accredited by SACSCOC.
- School of Music was rated #1 Christian Music School by Christian Universities Online.
- One of the nation’s largest music schools.
- 44 full-time faculty with degrees from many of the most prestigious music schools in the nation.
- Our students have produced albums that have been nominated for awards with Liberty alumni going on to become Dove award-winning Christian artists and songwriters.
Music and Worship – Commercial Music Performance Degree Information
Career Opportunities for Commercial Music Performance Graduates
- Contemporary Christian artist
- Director of worship and drama
- Minister of music
- Music and worship evangelist
- Worship leader or pastor
Admission Requirements for Graduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and all applicants must submit the following documents and meet the minimum requirements for admission:
- Admission application
- Self-certification form (for students who are in the final term of their bachelor’s degree)
- Current Liberty undergraduate students seeking preliminary acceptance into a graduate program must complete a degree completion application through their ASIST account
- Completion of an earned baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in one of the following areas: bachelor’s degree in music, music education, or music and worship
- 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing