Glorify God through Theatre with Our Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Arts Degree Program
Develop your craft and sharpen your skills as you prepare for a career in theatre arts. Gain the hands-on theatrical experience you need through our academic productions and even jump-start your career with the opportunity to earn professional credits with our Alluvion Stage Company. You can do all this while completing your degree right here at Liberty University.
Taught from a Christian worldview, classes in Liberty’s Theatre Arts Department emphasize storytelling and the development of skills required for employment in the industry.
Our theatre arts bachelor’s degree offers a quality education focused on giving you the tools and experience you need for success in a variety of theatre-based careers from ministry to directing and stage management. Throughout your bachelor’s in theatre arts program, our professors will help you develop your creative abilities in playwriting, set design, and acting so you are prepared to help shape the feature of theatre in your community and beyond.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre Arts?
At Liberty, our mission is to prepare you to impact the world for Christ, wherever God calls you. We believe in combining biblical values with a dedication to excellence in all of our degree programs. Our bachelor’s of theatre arts degree prepares you with the theory and hands-on experience you need to glorify Christ in the practice of your craft.
As one of the largest residential Christian colleges in the nation, we have the resources you need to make the most of your bachelor’s in theatre arts degree. With programs like our New York and Washington Fellowships, you have the opportunity to pursue internships with the Kennedy Center or Broadway while continuing to earn your degree. For our students who excel, we provide additional support and community through our Honors and Eagle Scholars programs, so you can develop your leadership skills and make the most of your academic and theatrical achievements.
What Will You Learn in Our B.A. in Theatre Arts Degree Program?
Our mission is to prepare you to create innovative, excellent productions that glorify God. Our theatre arts bachelor’s degree provides you with practical instruction in both the theory and practice of theatre performance and production. Throughout our bachelor’s of theatre arts degree program, you will learn how to act, write, design, and direct plays, applying what you have learned to real productions. This broad focus allows our B.A. in Theatre Arts degree to prepare you with the skills you need to succeed in a variety of careers.
We provide a variety of hands-on experiences from set design to playwriting, allowing you to perfect your craft under the guidance of our experienced professors. Recently, our students have written, directed, and performed an original production, and our theatre department offers other opportunities through our professional Alluvion Stage Company, Alpha Psi Omega honors society, and trips abroad – where you can use theatre to transcend cultural and language barriers.
Download and review our B.A. in Theatre Art’s Degree Completion Plan.
THEA 331 – Stage Management and Directing
Here’s what you’ll study: the various theories and methodolgies of play directio and stage management.
THEA 381 – Christian Aesthetics in Theatre
Here’s what you’ll study: the integration of faith and art, specific to theatre.
THEA 412 – Site-Specific Theatre
Here’s what you’ll learn: the development of site-specific theatre based on your research of the most effective methods and trends.
THEA 431 – Playwriting
Here’s what you’ll learn: the craft of playwriting and the development of a writing style appropriate to the stage.
Highlights of Our Bachelor’s in Theatre Arts Degree Program
- You will study under professors with years of real-world experience in professional productions who also have a passion for teaching you how to create innovative theatre that glorifies God.
- Our bachelor’s in theatre arts program produces graduates of distinction who have achieved roles as production manager for Carnival Cruise Lines, dresser for Broadway’s WICKED, and actor in “The Walking Dead.”
- Our students recently received a research grant to write and perform Bloodroot: The Ballad of Clinch Mountain, a play highlighting the achievements of women in both content and production.
- Many of our students have been nominated for the American College Theatre Festival’s Irene Ryan award for acting.
- You will have opportunities to network with other young professionals through our chapter of Alpha Psi Omega.
- Our Tower and Black Box Theaters allow you to gain experience in designing, directing, and performing in a variety of spaces.
- Our professional Alluvion Stage Company provides students with opportunities for additional experience beyond student productions.
Our Theatre Arts Bachelor’s Degree Information
- 120 total credit hours
- You may Transfer in up to 75% of your total degree
- This program falls under our School of Communication and the Arts
- All declared Bachelor of Arts theatre students must complete a production interview once admitted to Liberty University with the option of pursuing an audition, as well.
- View our bachelor’s in theatre arts Degree Completion Plan.
- Find more information about our bachelor’s degree in theatre arts program in our course catalog.
Career Opportunities for Our B.A. in Theatre Arts Graduates
- Casting director
- Drama minister
- First hand
- Stage manager
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores (Liberty University is offering test-optional admission for Spring, Summer, and Fall 2021 applicants)
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.