Defend Against Intruders with Our B.S. in Information Technology – Data Networking and Security Degree
The world is at war, and the new battleground is the internet. If you’d like to work on the frontlines and help secure and protect our nation’s government and business organizations, then a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology – Data Networking and Security is the degree for you. This is your chance to become a cyber-warrior through a university that has been designated by the Department of Homeland Security and National Security Agency as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education for this degree.
Through this program, you will gain critical knowledge in the field of data and network security. You will learn from industry leaders and you will be given the opportunity for hands-on projects with real-world application. As part of this program, you will complete the Cisco Networking Academy curriculum for the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification.
All of your courses are taught from a biblical worldview and will prepare you to meet the growing demand for data network and security administrators. Our experienced professors, grounded in their Christian faith, will prepare you for a rewarding career in defense of our country’s data network systems. Our mission is to produce men and women who can go into the workforce and make a positive impact on the data and network security field.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology – Data Networking and Security?
Cyber security is one of the fastest-growing areas in the IT field. This degree is part of the three pillars of protection in the field of cybersecurity. This degree is a smart choice to set you up for success in a future IT career.
- Liberty is designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by both the NSA and the Department of Homeland Security.
- Through this data networking and security bachelor’s degree, you will learn to implement security controls vital to mitigating emerging threats.
- In addition to the excellent academic training you will receive, we have many student organizations under the School of Business. The Cybersecurity Club is a great choice to fellowship with like-minded individuals and put your skills to the test in inter-collegiate cyber competitions.
Another way you will be able to make the most of your degree is through our Business Internship Program. As one of the largest Christian universities in the nation, we have the resources to help you find an internship with companies and government organizations all around the country.
With programs like our New York and Washington Fellowships, you can gain hands-on experience that will carry over into your professional life by giving you the chance to use your classroom knowledge in real-life applications.
What Will You Learn in Our B.S. in Information Technology – Data Networking and Security Program?
Liberty University’s B.S. in Information Technology – Data Networking and Security will train you in computer programming, cyber security, databases, distributed computing, human-computer interaction, network security, and networking and telecommunications. You will also learn how to provide a security architecture of enterprise networks and systems within an organization.
Through this degree, you will gain the ability to maintain an organization’s firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and antivirus technology as well as monitor the network for intrusions and learn how to respond accordingly. You will learn how to preserve and restore systems as well as how to do a risk analysis. The great thing is that after you finish your courses here, you will be set up to get or test for certification in one or more areas.
Download and review our B.S. in Information Technology – Data Networking and Security Degree Completion Plan.
CSIS 331 – Networks
Building on the foundational knowledge of the 330 course, this is a study in corporate data networking. This course primarily focuses on switched networks (wired and wireless) with hands-on work on setting up and operating a switched network. Routed networks fundamentals and concepts will be introduced to prepare students for careers in networks operations and the follow-on advanced networks class.
CSIS 335 – Network Security
A study of the control of unwanted intrusions into, use of, or damage to a business’ computer network. This course will cover elements that prevent unwanted activities in an efficient and cost-effective manner. This study will start with a focus on the business challenges, and threats network professionals face in their day-to-day operations. It explores the nature and intent of hackers and defines preventative measures such as Intrusion Detection Systems, firewalls, and virtual private networks.
CSIS 341 – Information Security Planning
This course will deal with the proper planning for and initial implementation of an Information Security program. The topics included would be security planning and policies, risk analysis, program accreditation, systems lifecycle management, contingency planning, physical security measures, personal security practices and procedures, software security, network security, administrative controls, and crypto security.
CSIS 343 – Cyber-Security
A comprehensive overview of the essential concepts students must know as they pursue careers in information systems security. Topics include a discussion of the new risks, threats, and vulnerabilities associated with the transformation to a digital world, including a look at how business, government, and individuals operate today. Additionally, information is included from the Official (ISC) 2 SSCP Certified Body of Knowledge and presents a high-level overview of each of the seven domains within the System Security Certified Practitioner certification.
The Department of Homeland Security and National Security Agency have designated Liberty University as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education for the B.S. in Information Technology with Data Networking and Security Cognate.
Highlights of Our Bachelor’s in Information Technology – Data Networking and Security Degree Program
- The Department of Homeland Security and National Security Agency have designated Liberty University as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education for the B.S. in Information Technology with Data Networking and Security Cognate.
- There is a possibility of pursuing multiple areas of study due to the allowable electives within this degree.
- The School of Business has its own 78,000 square foot building, with state-of-the-art computer labs, student and faculty meeting areas and modern classrooms outfitted with the latest technology. We also have information technology labs and a networking and data center.
- Our School of Business offers Liberty’s Center for Cyber Excellence, where you can gain the critical skills you need to help protect and defend information systems from attack.
- Like Liberty’s entire faculty, our business and IT professors care about the success and outcomes of each student.
- You will have the opportunity to train and graduate with a variety of certificates such as Microsoft, SAP, Cisco, etc.
Our Information Technology – Data Networking and Security Bachelor’s Degree Information
Career Opportunities for Our B.S. in Information Technology – Data Networking and Security Graduates
- Network administrator
- Network security manager
- Security analyst
- Security auditor
- Systems administrator
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores (Liberty University is offering test-optional admission for Spring, Summer, and Fall 2021 applicants)
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.