Residential Military Benefits
Why Should I Verify My Military Status?
When you are first getting started at Liberty University, it is important that you submit military verification documentation to our office, so we can update your military status in our system. Confirming your military status by submitting military documentation will give you access to the following benefits at Liberty University:
- Access to our Veterans Center lounge
- Veterans receive priority enrollment each semester
- Academic benefits on undergraduate degree plans, and signed Degree Completion Plans for Tuition Assistance available upon request
- Free evaluation of military training for transfer credit
- Assistance and support as needed when facing deployment or military orders
- Communication from the Office of Military Affairs and the Military Student Liaison regarding changes, updates, and opportunities impacting military students
Verifying Military Status
In the sections below, we outline the necessary steps to verify your military status on your student record.
If documentation is required, submit your documents directly in your Student Checklist. If these document requirements are not listed on your Student Checklist, you may submit documents to the Office of Military Affairs by email: LUMilitary@liberty.edu or fax: (434) 455-1287.
- Department of Defense employees and military spouses are required to submit documentation to the Office of Military Affairs to verify their military status.
- Submit your documents directly in your Student Checklist. If these document requirements are not listed on your Student Checklist, you may submit documents to the Office of Military Affairs by email: LUOMilitary@liberty.eduor fax: (434) 455-1287. This documentation will be reviewed within 3-5 business days. We will follow up regarding your military status through your Liberty email account at that time.
DoD Employees should submit a DoD End of Month LES from the last 3 months, official memo/letter on DoD letterhead confirming your direct employment with the DoD, or Notification of Personnel Action (SF50).
Military Spouses (as defined by Liberty University) should verify their military and marital status through ID.me using their own credentials at https://mylu.liberty.edu/. Once this verification is successfully completed, they should submit copies of their state-issued active Driver’s License* for both themselves and their spouse.
Due to government regulations, we are unable to accept Military Identification cards for verification of military service or personal identification. Federal law prohibits copying or reproducing military IDs in any way. You may black-out classified information (Social Security Number, License Number, etc.) on orders, LES, or other military documents submitted.
- Current and Recently Applied Students: To take advantage of the benefits you may be eligible to receive, please verify your military status through ID.me. If you apply to a new program, change degree levels, or break enrollment, your military status will need to be re-verified through ID.me. Please direct any questions or concerns to our Office of Military Affairs. If you have completed military verification through ID.me while completing your most recent Liberty application you do not need to re-complete this verification.
- New Students: Please submit your Liberty University application prior to verifying your military status. This will ensure that your application is processed promptly and will provide our team with the necessary information to assist you in the subsequent steps, including the verification of your military status through ID.me. You will verify your service during our application process through ID.me.
*Acceptable forms of photo identification must include name, date of birth, gender, and a photo. If you are unable to submit a Driver’s License, we may also accept a Passport or DMV identification card. Military ID’s are not accepted due to government regulations.
Priority Enrollment for On-Campus Veterans
Liberty University offers residential military students the opportunity for early registration each semester. Sections for residential courses may be limited, so priority enrollment allows current service members and veterans to be among the first students to gain access to course registration each semester.
How does it work?
All residential students who have verified their status as a current military service member or veteran will be assigned a unique PIN number before registration opens each semester. The PIN will be emailed to students and allow access to course registration on the early registration date associated with Special Groups and International Students. More information about the specific dates in the registration schedule will be posted on the Registrar’s Course Registration web page each semester.
Students who are currently serving (Active Duty, Reserve, and/or National Guard), as well as military veterans with a general/honorable discharge may qualify upon submission of supporting military documentation.
How do I get it?
Students are required to verify their military status to receive this benefit by submitting military documentation to the Office of Military Affairs.
Questions? Please contact a military benefits representative for assistance.