B.A. in American Sign Language & Interpreting
Residential Program in American Sign Language and Interpreting
The field of interpreting is experiencing exponential growth, and skilled professional interpreters are in demand.
Our Bachelor of Arts in American Sign Language and Interpreting program will equip you with the knowledge and skillset to bridge communication and cultural gaps as an effective professional ASL/English interpreter.
The initial two years consist of general education courses and language learning (ASL):
- general education courses
- development of linguistic (American Sign Language) and cultural competencies related to the Deaf community
- Introduction to the interpreting profession
In the final two years, students will…
- synthesize the interpreting skillset by first working on intralingual cognitive processes which they will build into interlingual practice.
- complete the Virginia Quality Assurance Screening (VQAS) with the goal of being qualified interpreters in the state of Virginia and other regions sharing reciprocity
- participate in interpreting Practicum and Internship, which may include working with the university’s own interpreting services agency (Liberty University Interpreting Services), the university’s Washington Fellowship, or at various locations nationwide
Throughout the entire program, students will….
- apply a biblical worldview to linguistic, cultural, and ethical studies
- gains community partnership through our American Sign Language Club and ASL Honor Society
- demonstrate professionalism both in class and in the field through composure, appearance, and professional/ethical interactions
This degree is offered through the Department of Modern Languages.
Academic Information for the Social Sciences Major
120 credit hours
Programs of Study
View Liberty’s undergraduate admissions requirements
ASL Courses You Could Take
- ASLI 101: American Sign Language I
- ASLI 212: Theory and Application of Fingerspelling and Numbers
- ASLI 310: Deaf Studies
- ASLI 405: ASL Linguistics
Start Your Career
Career Opportunities for American Sign Language and Interpreting Majors
- Educational interpreting
- Video relay services
- Corporate Interpreting
- Freelance Interpreting