J. Thomas (Tom) McClintock, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Director of Forensic Science
Office: Science Hall 245
Phone: (434) 582-2225
- B.S. James Madison University
- M.S. University of Maryland
- Ph.D. University of Maryland
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship at U.S. Department of Agriculture
- BIOL 303 Microbiology
- BIOL 361 Forensic DNA Analysis
- BIOL 462 Forensic DNA Analysis laboratory
- BIOL 421 Forensic Entomology
- BIOL 402 Forensic Science Seminar
- BIOM 625 Microbial Pathogenesis & Virology
Dr. McClintock teaches undergraduate classes in microbiology. He previously held a faculty position in the Department of Molecular and Microbiology at George Mason University (GMU) in Fairfax, Va, where he taught graduate courses in forensic DNA analysis and in forensic sciences. The course in forensic DNA analysis focuses on current laboratory methods and applications in forensic DNA profiling and effective presentation of DNA evidence at trial. His previously published laboratory manual, entitled "Forensic DNA Analysis: A Laboratory Manual" (2008, CRC Press/Taylor & Francis), presents an overview of the current techniques and methods commonly used in forensic DNA typing, as well as, the interpretation of DNA evidence which is crucial for today's criminalist. Dr. McClintock's latest laboratory manual entitled "Forensic Analysis of Biological Evidence: A Laboratory Guide for Serological and DNA Typing" (In Press) focuses on the current serological and DNA tests used in forensic laboratories throughout the world.
In 2008, Dr. McClintock was invited to appear on the Nancy Grace Show to provide his insights on the use of DNA testing in the investigation of the missing 3-year old Florida girl named Caylee Anthony. The complete transcripts for both shows are available at http://www.Edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0808/22/ng.01.html.
Dr. McClintock received a Bachelor of Science degree from the Department of Biology at James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA, a Masters of Science degree from the Department of Entomology, and a Doctorate of Philosophy degree from the Department of Microbiology at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD. After completing a Postdoctoral Fellowship, Dr. McClintock became Group Leader/Senior Staff Scientist at Digene Diagnostics, Inc. where he directed the research on the development and use of DNA probes for the detection and diagnosis of human pathogens.
- McClintock, J. T. (2014). Forensic Analysis of Biological Evidence: A Laboratory Guide for Serological and DNA Typing. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL.
- Haymes, K. M., S. D. Hester, W. H. Benson, and J. T. McClintock. 2009. Potential use of microarray technology at the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency. In Genomics: Fundamentals & Applications. C. Supratime and D. B. Carlson (eds.). Informal Helathcase, New York, NY.
- McClintock, J. T. 2008. Forensic DNA Analysis: A Laboratory Manual. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL.
- Hamernik, K., K. Haymes, S. Hester, and J. T. McClintock. 2008. Perspectives on toxicogenomics activities at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. In Toxicogenomics: A powerful took for toxicity assessment. S. C. Sahu (ed.). Wiley Publications, West Sussex, UK.
- W. H. Benson, K. Gallagher, and J. T. McClintock. 2007. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's activities to prepare for regulatory and risk assessment applications of genomics information. Environ. Mol. Mutagen 48:359-362.
- Dix, D. J., K. Gallagher, W. H. Benson, B. L. Groskinsky, J. T. McClintock, K.L. Deerfield and W. H. Farland. 2006. A framework for the use of genomics data at the EPA. Nature Biotech. 24:1108-1111.
- McClintock, J. T. 2002. PCR-based detection systems: Post transfusion and amelogenin typing. A case report. Abstract, Cambridge Healthtech Institute's 5th Annual Meeting, DNA Forensics, Profiling, PCR and Beyond, Washington, D.C.
- McClintock, J. T. 2001. The power of DNA typing evidence. The District of Columbia Bar Newsletter. No. 1, September, 2001.
- Adams, J. R. and J. T. McClintock. 2000. Baculoviridae: Nuclear Polyhedrosis Viruses. Part I. Nuclear Polyhedrosis Viruses of Insects. In Atlas of Invertebrate Viruses. J. R. Adams and J. R. Bonami (eds.). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- McClintock, J. T. 1999. DNA typing evidence in forensic casework. Fairfax Bar J. Vol. 26, No. 3.
- McClintock, J. T. 1998. The federal registration process and requirements for the United States. In Methods in Biotechnology. Vol. 5. Biopesticides: Use and Delivery. Hall, F. R. and J. J. Menn (eds.) Humana Press, Inc., Totowa, NJ.
- McClintock, J. T., N. A. M. van Beek, J. L. Kough, M. L. Mendelsohn, and P. O. Hutton. 1998. Regulatory aspects of biological control agents and products derived by biotechnology. In Biological and Biotechnological Control of Insect Pests. J. E. Rechcigl and N. A. Rechcigl (eds.). Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL.
- McClintock, J. T., C. R. Schaffer, and R. D. Sjoblad. 1995. Comparative mammalian toxicity of registered Bocillus thuringiensis-based pesticides. Bacillus thuringiensis Biotech. and Environ. Benefits 1:327-336.
- McClintock, J. T., I-J Chan, S. R. Thaker, A. Katial, F. E. Taub, A. E. Aotaki-Keen, and L. M. Hjelmeland. 1992. Detection of c-sis proto-oncogene transcripts by direct enzyme-labeled cDNA probes and in situ hybridization. In Vitro Cell. Develop. Biol. 28A: 102-108.
- McClintock, J. T., R. D. Sjoblad, and R. Engler. 1992. Toxicological evaluation of genetically engineered plant pesticides: Potential data requirements of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. In Food Safety Assessment. J. W. Finley, S. R. Robinson, D. J. Armstrong (eds.). Amer. Chem. Soc., Washington DC.
- McClintock, J. T., M. Mosher, S. R. Taker, W. K. Wacker, D. Jones, M. Forman, S. P. Adler, P. Charache, and F. E. Taub. 1992. Culture confirmation for cytomegalovirus and herpes simplex virus by direct enzyme-labeled DNA probes and in situ hybridization. J. Virol. Methods 35:81-91.
- McClintock, J. T., D. Guzo, K. P. Guthrie, and E. M. Dougherty. 1991. DNA-binding proteins of baculovirus-infected cells during permissive and semipermissive replication. Virus Res. 20:133-145.
- McClintock, J. T., I-J Chan, F. E. Taub, L. Resnick, and A. E. Friedman-Kien. 1991. Rapid detection of Epstein-Barr virus DNA in clinical samples of oral hairy leukoplakia with HRP-labeled DNA probes and in situ hybridization. J. Virol. Methods 33:155-164.
- McClintock, J. T., R. D. Sjoblad, and R. Engler. 1991. Are genetically engineered pesticides different? Potential EPA data requirements for toxicological evaluation. Chemtech 21:490-494.
- McClintock, J. T., D. Guzo, K. P. Guthrie, and E. M. Dougherty. 1991. DNA-binding proteins in baculovirus-infected cells. Abstract, 91st Annu. Meeting, Amer. Soc. Microbiol., Dallas, TX.
- Lynn, D. E., E. M. Dougherty, J. T. McClintock, and M. Shapiro. 1989. Comparative replication of Lymantria dispar in three continuous cell lines. Applied and Environ. Microbiol. 55:1049-1051.
- McClintock, J. T., S. R. Thaker, M. Mosher, D. Jones, M. Forman, P. Charaches, K. Wright, J. Keiser, and F. E. Taub. 1989. Comparison of in situ hybridization and monoclonal antibodies for the early detection of cytomegalovirus. J. Clin. Microbiol. 27:1554-1559.
- McClintock, J. T., A. Friedman-Kien, and F. E. Taub. 1989. Direct detection of Epstein-Barr virus in tongue tissue smears from individuals with suspected hairy leukoplakia. Abstract, 89th Annu. Meeting, Amer. Soc. for Microbiol., New Orleans, LA.
- Wacker, W. J., J. T., McClintock, S. Strohofer, S. Khan, R. P. Baughman, and F. E. Taub. 1989. Direct detection of cytomegalovirus in bronchoalveolar lavages using HRP-labeled DNA probes and in situ hybridization. Abstract, 89th Annu. Meeting, Amer. Soc. for Microbiol., New Orleans, LA.
- McClintock, J. T., and E. M. Doughtery. 1988. Restriction mapping of Lymantria dispar nuclear polyhedosis virus DNA: Localization of the polyhedrin gene and identification of four homologous regison. J. Gen. Virol. 69:2303-2312.
- Mosher, M., A. Maters, D. Jones, M. Forman, S. Grillo, J. T. McClintock, and F. Taub. 1988. Rapid detection of cytomegalovirus-infected cells by in situ hybridization with enzyme-linked DNA probes. Abstract, 88th Annu. Meeting, Amer. Soc. for Microbiol., Miami Beach, FL.
- McClintock, J. T., and E. M. Dougherty. 1987. Superinfection of baculovirus-infected gypsy moth cells with the nuclear polyhedrosis viruses of Autographa californica and Lymantria dispar. Virus Res. 7:351-364.
- McClintock, J. T., E. M. Dougherty, adn R. M. Weiner. 1986. Protein synthesis in gypsy moth cells infected with a nuclear polyhedrosis virus of Lymantria dispar. Virus Res. 5:307-322.
- Dougherty, E. M., B. J. Taylor, and J. T. McClintock. 1986. 5-Methylcytosine inhibition of a nuclear plyhydrosis virus of Autographia californica (AcMNPV). Abstract, 86th Annu. Meeting, Amer. Soc. for Microbiol., Washington, DC.
- McClintock, J. T., E. M. Dougherty, and R. M. Weiner. 1986. Semipermissive replication of a nuclear polyhedrosis virus of Autographia californica in a gypsy moth cell line. J. Virol. 57:197-204.
- McClintock, J. T. 1985. Baculovirus replication: Characterization of DNA and proteins synthesized by a nuclear polyhedorsis virus of Lymantria dispar, the gypsy moth, in a homologous cell line. Ph.D. Dissertation, Univ. of MD., College Park, MD.
- McClintock, J. T. and C. F. Reichelderfer. 1985. In vivo treatment of a nuclear polyhedrosis virus of Autographia californica (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) with chemical mutagens: Determination of changes in virulence in four lepidopteran hosts. Environ. Entomol. 14:691-695.