Prepare for Your Dream Career with Our B.M. Degree in Guitar Performance
Playing the guitar is your passion, and you might be interested in incorporating this passion into a future career. Our Bachelor of Music in Guitar Performance degree will help you further your technical and performance skills, so you are prepared to pursue job opportunities in many areas of the music industry.
You will study core curriculum in harmonic practices and theory, commercial music, orchestration, and music history. As you get into the core guitar performance courses in this degree, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in ensembles with our worship choir, University Chorale and Concern Choir. These opportunities provide hands-on experience playing with others, preparing you for a variety of jobs like performing with an orchestra or entering the recording industry.
At Liberty, you’ll find an affordable, high-quality education that equips students like you for the real world. Our commitment to excellence helped us rank as Niche.com’s #4 college campus in America. Earning your degree from a nonprofit university with state-of-the-art resources like ours can help set you apart from your peers.
Why Choose Liberty’s B.M. in Guitar Performance Degree?
At Liberty, we are committed to providing you with the training you need to succeed in a career in the music industry while honoring God with your musical talents. Throughout our guitar performance bachelor’s degree, you will learn from experienced musicians who have earned their degrees from some of the best music schools around the world. Our professors are dedicated to mentoring you as you develop your own musical style and prepare for your career.
When you earn your bachelor’s degree in guitar performance with us, you are enrolling in a program designed to help you reach your full potential as a musician who leads with excellence and integrity. And as one of the top ten largest schools of music in the nation, we are able to offer a variety of classes and performance opportunities from jazz to worship ensembles. We also offer state-of-the-art classroom, performance, and recording facilities designed to help you prepare for your career.
What Will You Learn in Our Guitar Performance Bachelor’s Degree Program?
Throughout our bachelor’s degree in music, you will study music theory, applied music studies, conducting, music technology, improvisation studies, and contemporary styles survey. You will also have the opportunity to work one-on-one with a distinguished instructor to further your technical guitar skills as well as study piano as a secondary instrument.
During your time studying with us, you can participate in various ensemble performances and showcase your accomplishments in a senior recital. To help you gain a variety of hands-on experiences, you will also complete an internship with the music organization of your choice. You will graduate with the technique, skills, and performance capabilities required fora successful career in music.
View our guitar performance Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below to learn more about what you’ll be studying!
MUSC 200 – Music, Art, Worship, and Culture
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The relationship between music, art, worship, and culture
- How culture effects music in daily and professional life
- Biblical principles for artistic development
- How to develop a literature review, thesis, and craft a meaningful research narrative
MUSC 310 – Principles of Arranging
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Basic arranging techniques of various pop-music genres
- Arranging techniques for instrumental ensembles
- Arranging for studio recordings
MUSC 360 – Commercial Improvisation Techniques
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The relationship between improvisation and harmonic context in contemporary music idioms
- The skills necessary to strategic areas of vocal or instrumental improvisational technique
MUSC 372 – Entrepreneurship and the Christian Music Community
Highlights of Our B.M. in Music Performance – Woodwind, Brass, or Percussion Degree
- We are dedicated to producing graduates of distinction, and our graduates have found careers playing for stars like Carrie Underwood, as Christian singers and songwriters, worship leaders at Harvest Bible Chapel, and conductors leading choir festivals throughout Southeast Asia.
- Our School of Music is accredited by NASM.
- Liberty Music Group (LMG) is our School of Music’s professional music publishing and recording company, and this student-run label provides students, staff, and faculty with the opportunity to publish their work.
- Our faculty members are experienced musicians who have studied and performed all over the world.
Our Bachelor’s of Music in Performance Guitar Degree Program Information
Career Opportunities for Our Bachelor of Music in Guitar Performance Program Graduates
- Church musician
- Instrumental soloist
- Performing/recording artist
- Product demonstrator
- Theater musician
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores (Liberty University is offering test-optional admission through Fall 2023 acceptance)
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.