M.S.W. in Advanced Generalist – General
Residential Master of Social Work (MSW) – Advanced Generalist – General
Prepare for your career in the Social Work field with a Master of Social Work Advanced Generalist – General degree from Liberty University. Sharpen your research skills, gain experience in generalist practice, and learn theories of human behavior that will equip you to excel in your chosen specialty. Take advantage of the flexibility of the General cognate, by mixing and matching various electives to create a personalized degree plan tailored to your unique interests and skills.
Learn from faculty who are experienced in their field and grounded in their Christian faith and worldview. Our Social Work professors have a wide range of expertise in program development, mental health, adoption, and child welfare. Faculty members have experience serving as expert witnesses and have been on the boards of non-profit organizations.
Gain Real-World Experience With Field Placements
Gain hands-on experience working as a professional social worker in your field placements. MSW students will graduate with 1,000 hours of real-world experience through two different field placements. This experience will ensure that you are ready to enter the field in a wide range of roles.
Academic Information for the MSW Advanced Generalist – General
60 hours minimum**
Program of Study
Social Work Featured Courses
- Generalist Social Work Practice with Groups (SOWK 555)
- Social Policy, Justice, & Advocacy (SOWK 625)
- Advanced Generalist Field Experience & Seminar (SOWK 670)
- Diversity & Cultural Humility (SOWK 650)
Every application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and all applicants must submit the following documents and meet the minimum requirements for admission:
- Admission application
- A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA
- 2 recommender contact information
- 400-word Statement of Purpose:
- In 150 words, complete the following prompt: I desire to earn an MSW from Liberty University because…
- In 150 words, complete the following prompt: I demonstrate a posture of learning and respect in working with diverse individuals, families, and groups by…
- In 100 words, discuss the following prompt: Describe challenges in your life and discuss how you deal with these.
- Department questionnaire
- Department approval
- Self-certification form for students in the final term of their bachelor’s degree
- Current Liberty undergraduate students seeking preliminary acceptance into a graduate program must complete a degree completion application through their ASIST account
**The Social Work Program does not give academic credit for life experiences or previous work experience. The program does recognize the value of previous work and life experience. The program encourages students to integrate the knowledge gained in the classroom with their work and life experience.
The mission of the Liberty University Social Work Master’s Program is to prepare healthy advanced generalist social workers to be servant leaders who follow the example of Christ and will influence the world by enhancing the lives of all individuals, families, and communities through research-informed knowledge, values, and skills consistent with the purpose of the profession.
Enhance Your Career in Social Work
Career Opportunities in General Social Work
- Agency Director
- Social Work Supervisor
- Administrative Social Work
- Anti-Human Trafficking Intervention
- Refugee Resettlement
- Hospital Social Work