Our online Bachelor’s in Social Work degree requires a one 3-credit hour on-campus intensive, SOWK 355: Social Work Practice with Groups. While you may have the opportunity to take additional courses as intensives, this is the only one that is required. Intensive courses allow you to build relationships with your classmates, engage with Liberty faculty and staff, and enjoy our beautiful campus. We are excited to meet you and welcome you to Flames Nation!
What Are Intensives?
Our Intensives are weeklong classes* where students can interact with their peers and professors in a classroom setting. These courses are located on the Liberty University campus and allow students to interact and learn from professors face-to-face, and enhance their education through a higher level of engagement.
As you prepare, please note that this is a highly interactive course in which you will be practicing the skills necessary for facilitating groups. Therefore, your full participation will be essential, including some weeknight work. It is not a “conference” type of course that might offer the flexibility to step in and out of lecture presentations. We realize this is a heavy schedule, but it is required to complete all the necessary components for the 3-credit practice course in this one-week timeframe.
Many students have felt a deeper connection to Liberty University after they have attended an intensive. We are confident that your academic journey will be enhanced by this experience.
* Pre-work and/or post-work will be required in Blackboard
Pre-Work and Post-Work
- Course access for intensives will be based upon the start date of the semester in which the intensive is being offered. Students are responsible for completing any pre-work prior to the first day of class.
- After attending the on-campus portion of the intensive, students will have the rest of the term to complete the course work.
Registration & Cancellation
- Students must register for their intensive by the start of the A term for that semester or 30 days before the first day on campus, whichever comes first.
- Occasionally, low enrollment may cause some intensives to be canceled.
- The online Intensive Course Schedule will be updated weekly concerning course closings and/or cancellations. Check this periodically before the start of your course to minimize potential problems.
- The Application for Form I-20 must be filled out and submitted to the Resident Graduate Admissions Office at least 8 weeks prior to the proposed travel to Liberty University’s campus. This form allows students to attend a visa interview.
- Attendance for the full five days is required for passing this course. This policy is non-negotiable because of the short amount of time we have together. So make travel arrangements early in case you experience delays. We understand that issues can occur while taking an intensive. If this happens, contact both your professor and Academic Advising at (800) 424-9595.
- Students: Take note that childcare will not be available during your intensive.
Complimentary parking will be available for your entire Monday-Friday stay.
Liberty University policy is to dress modestly and appropriately at all times. With that being said, please dress comfortably. We have long days! You may want to have nice jeans or khaki’s/black pants for the day you do your psychoeducational presentation as well as the day you lead your support group, but you do not necessarily need to be “business casual.” The temperature can vary, so we suggest layers.
Places to Eat on Liberty’s Campus
Additional Lodging Information
Contact Our Liberty University Online Programs
Familiarize yourself with needed information regarding your Liberty University intensive courses. If you have a question about your intensives, call Academic Advising at (800) 424-9595.
If you have a specific question about your intensive course prior to your arrival on campus, contact LUOSocialWork@liberty.edu. If you have any needs while you are on campus for your intensives, you can email email@example.com. We are here to serve you throughout your intensive courses and look forward to seeing you on campus!