Online Bachelor’s in Social Work Degree – Intensives
Our online Bachelor’s in Social Work degree requires one 3-credit hour on-campus intensive, SOWK 355 Social Work Practice with Groups. While you may have the opportunity to take additional courses as intensives, this is the only one that is required. Intensive courses allow you to build relationships with your classmates, engage with Liberty faculty and staff, and enjoy our beautiful campus. We are excited to meet you and welcome you to Flames Nation!
What Are Intensives?
Our Intensives are weeklong classes* where students can interact with their peers and professors in a classroom setting. These courses are located on the Liberty University campus and allow students to interact and learn from professors face-to-face, and enhance their education through a higher level of engagement.
As you prepare, please note that this is a highly interactive course in which you will be practicing the skills of facilitating groups. Therefore, your full participation will be essential, including some weeknight work. It is not a “conference” type of course that might offer the flexibility to step in and out of lecture presentations. We realize this is a heavy schedule, but it is required to complete all the necessary components for the 3-credit practice course in this one-week timeframe.
Many students have felt a deeper connection to Liberty University after they have attended an intensive. We are confident that your academic journey will be enhanced by this experience.
* Pre-work and/or post-work will be required in Blackboard
Pre-Work and Post-Work
- Course access for intensives will be based upon the start date of the semester in which the intensive is being offered. Students are responsible for completing any pre-work prior to the first day of class.
- After attending the on-campus portion of the intensive, students will have the rest of the term to complete the course work.
Registration & Cancellation
- Students must register for their intensive by the start of the A term for that semester or 30 days before the first day on campus, whichever comes first.
- Occasionally, low enrollment may cause some intensives to be canceled.
- The online Intensive Course Schedule will be updated weekly concerning course closings and/or cancellations. Check this periodically before the start of your course to minimize potential problems.
- The Application for Form I-20 must be filled out and submitted to the Resident Graduate Admissions Office at least 8 weeks prior to the proposed travel to Liberty University’s campus. This form allows students to attend a visa interview.
- Attendance for the full five days is required for passing your course. This policy is non-negotiable because of the short amount of time we have together. So make travel arrangements early enough to allow for flight delays. We understand that issues can occur while taking an intensive. If this happens, contact both your professor and Academic Advisor.
- Students: take note that childcare will not be available during your intensive. Additionally, children and young adults under the age of 18 are not permitted to attend courses with their parents or wait unsupervised on university premises.
Complimentary parking will be available for your entire Monday-Friday stay.
Liberty University policy is to dress modestly and appropriately at all times. With this being said, dress comfortably. We have long days! You may want to have nice jeans or khaki’s/black pants for the day you do your psychoeducational presentation as well as the day you lead your support group, but you do not necessarily need to be “business casual.” The temperature can vary, so we suggest layers.
What to Bring to Class
Flames Pass, Laptop/textbook, chargers, water bottle, paper & pen/pencil.
Upon your Arrival to Class
How do I Connect to the Liberty wireless network?
- Visit the Help Desk DIY page to access step by step instructions.
- Type “WIFI” into the search box, then select the appropriate article.
Places to Eat on Liberty’s Campus
Coffee, water and light snacks will be provided during your intensive.
Additional Lodging Information
Contact Our Liberty University Online Programs
Familiarize yourself with the needed information regarding your Liberty University intensive courses. If you have a question about your intensives, call Academic Advising at (800) 424-9595.
While you are on campus for your intensives, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any needs. We are here to serve you throughout your on-campus intensive courses.
If you have a specific question about your intensive course, contact LUOSocialWork@liberty.edu.