Gain a Competitive Edge with Liberty’s Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Graphic Design
Does the idea of working as an illustrator or multimedia artist interest you? If you enjoy creating beautiful art pieces and like the idea of doing so digitally, then a degree in graphic design may be for you. Liberty’s Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Graphic Design will prepare you for a career in branding, illustration, packaging design, textile design, user interface, and more!
Being accepted into Liberty does not automatically guarantee entry into our BFA program. To ensure success in a graphic design program, you will first accumulate 18 credit hours of specific art courses, fine-tuning your skills under the guidance of our expert professors. With the pieces you complete in those courses, you will create a professional portfolio to submit for competitive entry into the program.
Earning your BFA will immediately show employers your professionalism and work ethic. You deserve a bachelor’s degree that prepares you to enter the career field with confidence. Thrive in your future career by earning Liberty’s BFA in Graphic Design!
Why Choose Liberty’s BFA in Graphic Design?
As a designated BFA program, you know you are getting one of the most prestigious visual arts bachelor’s degrees out there! Our professors and curriculum come together to ensure a pre-professional degree that gives you extensive practice-based course work in the graphic design field.
Some of the benefits and opportunities you will have as a Liberty graphic design student include the following:
- Visit and learn from the beautiful Liberty University Art Gallery, which has been used to display work from some of the most talented artists in the nation.
- Study abroad with the School of Communication and the Arts! Visit cities like Paris and London with your peers and professors as you expand your artistic style.
- Our students have interned with major companies like ESPN and Disney.
- Our alumni have gone on to work for organizations like the Motion Picture Association of America, Hallmark, Lord & Taylor, and Capital One.
- You can join student art clubs such as the American Institute of Graphic Design (AIGA), the Studio Creative Community, the Zeta Chi International Honorary Art Fraternity, and the Photography Club to further advance your graphic design skills and cultivate peer and professional networks.
Use the resources and facilities we have at your disposal to develop and become the graphic design professional you aspire to be!
What Will You Learn in Our BFA in Graphic Design?
Get ready to train for success in the digital arts industry. Our Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design provides experienced and degreed faculty ready to help you achieve your career goals. During your time as a student, you will intern with professionals and develop real-world design experience.
Through your classroom and professional training, you will learn how to:
- Create visual imagery digitally.
- Create and implement vector images for various media.
- Develop mastery of industry software.
- Design and produce a fully integrated campaign.
- Produce digital art for both electronic media and print.
- Produce digital and interactive publications.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below to learn more about what you’ll be studying!
ARTS 114 – Introduction to 3D Design
- A fundamental course with an emphasis on means of construction, analysis of materials and structural examinations that support conceptual development of 3 dimensional art.
- Emphasis placed on characterizing the elements and principles of design and how they each integrate to form fully realized works of 3D art.
- Students will develop projects using a variety of materials and methods.
ARTS 211 – Drawing I
An introduction to basic drawing fundamentals including gesture line, contour line, positive and negative space, linear perspective, sight measurement techniques, modeling perspective, and composition.
ARTS 222 – Introduction to Graphic Design
- An introduction to graphic design as a tool for visual communication.
- Graphic design skills and topics including a brief history of typography and printing; page layout design principles, the design process, page layout and image manipulation software, visual hierarchy, and critique will be explored in this course.
- Students will use the acquired skills to create basic graphic design materials for a variety of uses.
ARTS 361 – Digital Photography
- The purpose of this course is to provide the student with a basic knowledge of digital photography.
- Students will learn to operate a digital single-lens reflex camera with proficiency.
- The correction and digital manipulation of images using current industry-standard software will be taught.
- Students will learn to communicate with their photography by posting their images to the Internet, printing their images using current inkjet technologies, and producing slideshows of their images for group consumption.
Highlights of Our BFA in Graphic Design Degree
- Our faculty are all professionals in the industry, with collegiate degrees to match their field experience.
- Liberty’s studio arts students have won more graphic design awards as part of the American Advertising Federation (AAF) Awards than all of the other schools in Virginia and North Carolina combined!
- We are constantly making sure we have the newest equipment for our graphic design students to use. This includes innovative software in character creation, 3D modeling, and virtual reality.
- You will get the chance to pursue an internship during your time as a student, which will further develop your professional portfolio.
Graphic Design Bachelor’s Degree Information
- 120 total credit hours
- Transfer in up to 50% of your major-specific credits and 75% of your total degree.
- Our BFA in Graphic Design students must complete and pass a portfolio gate once enrolled to stay in the program.
- This program falls under Liberty’s School of Communication and the Arts.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- Check out our course catalog
Career Opportunities for Graphic Design Graduates
Liberty University’s Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design will help prepare you for the following occupations:
- Advertising Director
- Art Director
- Design Director
- Graphic Arts Technician
- Graphic Designer
- Print Designer
- Typeface Designer
- Web Designer
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.