Assure Information and Manage Risks with a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Assurance
Corporations, businesses, and government organizations employ people who are skilled at protecting the valuable data stored on their servers and computer networks. If you are looking to enter a field that is growing and matches your interest in technology, then look no further than information assurance.
Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Information Systems – Information Assurance degree provides training in identifying the assets, threats, and vulnerabilities of an organization, in order to calculate risk. You will learn to establish policies to mitigate or reduce the risk by the implementation of technology, procedures, and standards.
Network systems are under constant attack from unwanted intrusions. By earning our information assurance bachelor’s degree, you’ll be prepared to break into this financially rewarding field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average yearly salary for an information security analyst in 2018 was around $98,000 per year! In addition to the salary, the job outlook for this field is projected to grow by 32% over ten years, which is much faster than average.*
Among only 3% of business schools worldwide to receive ACBSP accreditation
Our experienced professors, who are grounded in their Christian faith, will prepare you for a career in this growing field. Employers are looking for men and women who have the integrity and skills that graduates of Liberty University exemplify every year as they enter the workforce.
At Liberty, you’ll find an affordable, high-quality education that equips students like you for the real world. Our commitment to excellence helped us rank among Niche.com’s Top 5 college campuses in America. Earning your degree from a nonprofit university with state-of-the-art resources like ours can help set you apart from your peers.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Information Security Analysts, (visited October 25, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems – Information Assurance?
One of the greatest benefits of your degree here at Liberty is that you can graduate with multiple certifications already under your belt. Would you like to earn an Oracle certification in eight weeks? Having certifications on your resume with a bachelor’s degree in information systems will lead to greater financial rewards and job opportunities.
For a practical, hands-on experience, nothing can beat the chance to be an intern at a company in your chosen field. Through our Business Internship Program, you can take advantage of real-world training alongside experienced professionals already in the field. As one of the largest Christian universities in the nation, we have the resources to help you find an internship with companies and government organizations all around the country, even in nearby Washington D.C.
Our student organizations also provide many opportunities to fellowship with your peers, professors and even some business professionals in the community. You can participate in competitions and events that can hone your skills and add to your resume.
What Will You Learn in Our B.S. in Information Systems – Information Assurance Program?
Liberty University’s B.S. in Information Systems – Information Assurance provides the training in information security skills you need to fulfill roles in the governance, risk management, and compliance (GRC) of an organization. As you progress in your courses, you will learn application programming and web architecture and development. Because you will be focusing on information assurance, you will conduct an in-depth study into how data networks work and how to protect those networks against individuals or organizations that try to gain access to or damage your company’s data.
Throughout this degree, you will examine advanced cybersecurity methods and the risks and threats that an organization’s data may face. You will receive this training using the same information that is needed for the System Security Certified Practitioner certification, which is something you may wish to pursue. Our digital forensics course will teach you how to find and follow evidence once a computer crime has been committed. Through these courses and others, you will be prepared to work in the field of information security with a high degree of confidence in your ability to thwart the threats to a company’s data.
CSIS 331– Networks
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Building on the foundational knowledge of the Business Data Communications Systems course, this is a study in corporate data networking.
- This course primarily focuses on switched networks (wired and wireless) with hands-on work on setting up and operating a switched network.
- Routed networks fundamentals and concepts will be introduced to prepare students for careers in networks operations and the follow-on advanced networks class.
CSIS 335– Network Security
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- A study of the control of unwanted intrusions into, use of, or damage to a business’ computer network.
- This course will cover elements that prevent unwanted activities in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- This study will start with a focus on the business challenges, and threats network professionals face in their day-to-day operations. It explores the nature and intent of hackers and defines preventative measures such as Intrusion Detection Systems, firewalls, and virtual private networks.
CSIS 342– Cyber Security
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- A comprehensive overview of the essential concepts students must know as they pursue careers in information systems security.
- Topics include a discussion of the new risks, threats, and vulnerabilities associated with the transformation to a digital world, including a look at how business, government, and individuals operate today.
- Additionally, information is included from the Official (ISC) 2 SSCP Certified Body of Knowledge and presents a high-level overview of each of the seven domains within the System Security Certified Practitioner certification.
CSIS 440 – Digital Forensics
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Students are introduced to the concept of computer crimes and the need for forensics specialists.
- System Forensics, Investigation, and Response begins by examining the fundamentals of system forensics, the role of computer forensics specialists, computer forensic evidence, and application of forensic analysis skills.
- It also gives an overview of computer crimes, forensic methods, and laboratories.
- It then addresses the tools, techniques, and methods used to perform computer forensics and investigation. Finally, it explores emerging technologies as well as future directions of this interesting and cutting-edge field.
Our Information Systems – Information Assurance Bachelor’s Degree Information
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- Results from the CLT, SAT, or ACT are not required for admission, but may be used in consideration for merit-based aid.
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.
Highlights of Our Bachelor’s in Information Systems Degree Program
- Our School of Business is among only 3% of business schools worldwide to earn ACBSP accreditation.
- You can pursue multiple cognates due to the number of elective courses within your degree.
- Our School of Business has its own 78,000 square foot building with computer labs, a networking and data center, student and faculty common areas, and modern classrooms outfitted with the latest technology.
- Be a part of Liberty’s Center for Cyber Excellence.
- Like Liberty’s entire faculty, our professors care about the success and outcomes of each student.
- You have the opportunity to train and graduate with a variety of certificates such as Microsoft, SAP, Cisco, etc.
Career Opportunities for Our B.S. in Information Systems – Information Assurance Graduates
- Cyber security specialist
- Information assurance engineer
- Information operations specialist
- Security manager
- Security policy manager