Prepare for Your Future in Ministry with Liberty’s M.A. in Pastoral Counseling – Theology
Take the next step in your academic and professional journey with Liberty. Whether you want to counsel individuals in your community or church, our M.A. in Pastoral Counseling – Theology can equip you for success.
When people experience difficult situations in their lives, they can feel confused and lost. Having the right answers to their questions during this time will allow you to minister to them in a way you couldn’t otherwise. Our pastoral counseling degree is designed to prepare you for these conversations so you can effectively help individuals recover and heal from whatever they are facing.
If you choose to pursue our specialization in theology, you will develop Scriptural applications to integrate into your counseling practices. You will assess the methods of secular and Christian counselors and learn from both to ground yourself in effective, ethical techniques.
At Liberty, you’ll find an affordable, high-quality education that equips students like you for the real world. Our commitment to excellence helped us rank as Niche.com’s #4 college campus in America. Earning your degree from a nonprofit university with state-of-the-art resources like ours can help set you apart from your peers.
Why Choose Liberty’s Pastoral Counseling – Theology Master’s Degree?
As a pastor and counselor, people will look to you for spiritual and general life guidance. Choosing to pursue a concentration in theology is a great way to gain deeper insight into doctrine and provide the answers people need when they are going through difficult times.
With Liberty, you will be learning from the best in the field. Our team of pastoral counseling professors are excited about sharing with you from their wealth of knowledge and experience. With over 140 years of total pastoral counseling experience between them, our faculty knows the ins and outs of providing exceptional care to those in need of spiritual truths and emotional guidance.
You will also have many opportunities to take your education outside the classroom. Our M.A. in Pastoral Counseling students complete a 225-hour internship in an approved, related setting. You will gain invaluable hands-on, face-to-face counseling experience in individual, relationship, and group therapy. Not only that, but you will also have our faculty by your side, monitoring your completed assignments related to the internship.
What Will You Learn in Our Pastoral Counseling – Theology Master’s Degree?
Our graduate students studying pastoral counseling explore the multicultural, family, and spiritual issues most often faced in a pastoral setting. As a student in this program, you will receive training in solution-based models so you can apply various behavioral approaches and appropriate biblical teaching in your work. You will also examine the best ways to promote spiritual growth during crises as well as in premarital and marriage circumstances.
By focusing your degree in theology, you will gain a deeper understanding of Christian doctrine that can be applied to your profession as a counselor. From systematic to public theology, your classes will examine advanced theological concepts found throughout Scripture. You can be equipped with the knowledge you need to share about the hope found through a relationship with Christ. That hope is a critical part of counseling and guiding others to healing.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below to learn more about what you’ll be studying.
PACO 509 – Spiritual Formation in Pastoral Counseling
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- This course prepares students to counsel with a variety of religious clients, particularly religious clients who would define themselves as evangelical Christians.
- The course provides a systematic overview of Christian doctrines, a discussion of various theological viewpoints regarding those doctrines, and an examination of how psychological and theological concepts relate to each other.
THEO 525 – Systematic Theology I
This course provides a study of systematic theology with special attention given to introduce the doctrines of Scripture, God, angels, and humanity.
THEO 626 – Doctrine of God
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- A study of the existence, nature, and attributes of the triune God.
- This course contains a study of such doctrines as the decree of God, creation, the providence of God, and the doctrine of the Trinity.
THEO 650 – Public Theology
A study of the role and practice of Christian ministry in responding to ethical challenges presented by cultural developments in the contemporary world.
Highlights of Our Master’s in Pastoral Counseling Degree
- Complete your entire master’s in as little as one year!
- You will have opportunities to earn several certificates from the American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC). These include Crisis Response, Life Coaching, and Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts (SYMBIS).
- Our AACC student chapter provides the chance for students like you to grow professionally and spiritually as you network and interact with successful counseling professionals.
- Our student to professor ratio for residential graduate students is 8:1!
- Our faculty care deeply for their students, praying for and with them throughout their academic journey.
Pastoral Counseling – Theology Degree Information
Career Opportunities for Pastoral Counseling and Theology Master’s Degree Graduates
- Associate pastor
- Church counselor
- Lay leader
- Non-licensed counselor
- Teaching pastor
- Youth pastor
Admission Requirements for Graduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and all applicants must submit the following documents and meet the minimum requirements for admission:
- Admission application
- Official bachelor’s degree transcripts with a 2.0 GPA or higher
- Self-certification form (for students who are in the final term of their bachelor’s degree)
- Current Liberty undergraduate students seeking preliminary acceptance into a graduate program must complete a degree completion application through their ASIST account