Learn How to Work with Cutting Edge Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) with Liberty
An exciting career in drone and unmanned aerial vehicle operation is waiting for you. At Liberty, we offer a maintenance track in unmanned aerial systems (UAS) so you can obtain the certification you need to work with these ever-evolving machines. Train on state-of-the-art equipment and learn from industry professionals who have years of real-world field experience.
What exactly is an unmanned aerial system? UAS incorporates everything from the operation of a drone or unmanned aerial vehicle to the communication, support equipment, and ground control station elements of operation. Basically, you will be gaining skills to work on aircraft that are controlled remotely.
Our School of Aeronautics is one of only a few schools that offer UAS certification training with medium UAS. Earn your FAA Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certificates, as well as your UAS crew chief certification through our training partnership with industry leader Textron Systems. Our partnership allows students like you to gain more hands-on, field applicable skills and utilize cutting edge equipment such as the Aerosonde aircraft.
Get excited for a career that never stops evolving and changing for the better. Partner with Liberty to get hiring agreement opportunities, expert faculty, and hands-on aircraft maintenance experience. Your future starts here!
At Liberty, you’ll find an affordable, high-quality education that equips students like you for the real world. Our commitment to excellence helped us rank as Niche.com’s #4 college campus in America. Earning your degree from a nonprofit university with state-of-the-art resources like ours can help set you apart from your peers.
Why Choose Liberty’s Aviation Maintenance: Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Degree?
Picking the right school isn’t easy, but we can help simplify the process for you. Since our faculty are field professionals who know the industry best, our curriculum focuses on the hard and soft skills employers are looking for today. You deserve a degree that’s designed to help you land the job you are pursuing in the first place!
Our aviation maintenance: unmanned aerial systems degree prepares you with the support, resources, and opportunities you’ll need to thrive. Here are some of the key points of our aviation maintenance degree:
- Our School of Aeronautics competes in the national Aviation Maintenance Competition, so you can get hands-on experience, bond with peers, and build your professional repertoire.
- We have a unique program where students can complete all FAA aircraft maintenance A&P certifications in less than one year, which is twice as fast as most other schools’ licensure track!
- Our curriculum focuses on developing leaders and professionals with the character and values industry leaders are looking for in employees.
- Our aeronautics school uses state of the art equipment so you are prepared for the ever-evolving aviation industry! We desire to produce students who can teach and mentor others in this growing field.
- All of our faculty care about their students’ success. Our professors will know you by name, praying with and for you throughout your time with us!
What Will You Learn in Our Aviation Maintenance: Unmanned Aerial Systems Concentration?
Gain the skill set you need to succeed! Our aviation maintenance bachelor’s degree is designed to provide a route for A&P licensure while covering important, broader topics that licensed mechanics face, such as human factors and safety.
Some of the major areas of study examined in our aviation maintenance unmanned aerial systems program include:
- Our unmanned aerial systems (UAS) concentration develops your ability to work with drones and other medium UAS. You will learn the inner workings of these devices, as well as how to effectively repair them when something malfunctions.
- Our courses will develop your ability to work with a wide range of systems, from propeller to hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- You will gain a greater awareness of how to incorporate Christian ethics into all the work that you do!
- The program includes a course that prepares students for aviation field interviews.
Walk away with a degree that cultivates your confidence and enables you to land a job in today’s booming aeronautics industry.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below to learn more about what you’ll be studying!
AVIA 460 – Aviation Interview
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The course material will focus on the entire interview process from personal preparation to paperwork presentation to the actual interview itself.
- Practice interviews with professionals from the aviation industry will critique the student on personal appearance, communication skills, and professional knowledge.
AVMT 217 – Powerplant Auxiliary Systems I
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- This course will provide the student with an understanding of operating principles and basic maintenance techniques for engine auxiliary systems and their components, including engine exhaust and thrust reversers, and engine fire protection systems.
- The student will learn to inspect, check, service, troubleshoot, and repair these systems.
AVMX 445 – Medium UAS Maintenance I
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- This course will provide the student with maintenance and crew chief training on a specific UAS platform.
- This training will include structural repair, avionics, power plant, and systems training on the UAS platform.
AVMX 447 – Medium UAS Maintenance III
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Further develop your knowledge of structural repair on the UAS platform
- Increase knowledge of avionics, power plant, and systems training on the UAS platform
Highlights of Our Aviation Maintenance: UAS Degree Program
Study hands-on! Our School of Aeronautics owns 27 aircraft, not including drones, and countless state of the art training devices and simulators! In addition to our facilities, we also have the following achievements and opportunities:
- Our students have won the 2017 and 2018 prestigious Loening Trophy and the American Airlines Safety Award 3 years running!
- Our aviation program is also one of the largest faith-based collegiate aviation programs in North America.
- FAA Part 147 instruction.
- Ability to complete FAA licensure training in as little as one year!
- Aviation Maintenance Certification: A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) license.
- Post-9/11 GI Bill® and the Yellow Ribbon program.
Aviation Maintenance: UAS Degree Information
Career Opportunities for Aviation Maintenance Graduates
Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Aviation Maintenance prepares you for the following occupations:
- Aircraft mechanic
- Government and military mechanic
- Maintenance manager
- UAS maintenance manager
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores (Liberty University is offering test-optional admission through Fall 2023 acceptance)
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.