Create Unique Spaces with a Degree in Interior Design
Are you interested in the concepts of interior decorating and creating exceptional spaces for yourself and others to enjoy? You can pursue this passion by earning Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Interior Design degree. We’re excited about partnering with you to turn your dream into a reality.
You’re probably wondering what career options are available to you as an interior designer. You could be a designer for various types of spaces, from the interior of personal homes to the architecture and design of larger buildings used for businesses, churches, and schools. Maybe you’re interested in working on a smaller scale and you want to design furniture, home accessories, lighting, or flooring. You may even be interested in historical preservation.
The exciting thing about the interior design industry is that there is a multitude of career paths available. This industry needs people like you who are passionate and excited. We’re going to make sure that passion is paired with the knowledge and skill you need to be successful in your profession.
Why Choose Liberty’s Interior Design Degree?
When you earn your degree through Liberty, you’ll be equipped with all that you need to excel in the interior design industry. You’ll be paired with professionals who create exceptional learning opportunities in the classroom so that you can confidently enter the world of interior design.
Wondering what’s so great about the program? Our favorite asset at Liberty is our professors. These men and women have real-life experience designing furniture, lighting, flooring, and spaces, and have advanced degrees in related fields. They are excited to pass along their knowledge to you as they guide, mentor, and support you throughout your education.
In addition to learning from professionals, you’ll have opportunities to network with like-minded peers and faculty members in our various family and consumer sciences clubs. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in an internship giving you valuable hands-on experience before you even graduate.
What Will You Learn in Our Interior Design Degree?
You can rest easy knowing the degree you earn from Liberty University will prepare you with the knowledge, skills, and experience you need to be successful in your chosen career field. We’re excited to offer you a curriculum that provides all the resources you need to work in the interior design industry.
Throughout this degree, you’ll study basic courses in art, family and consumer sciences, and design so that you will have the foundational knowledge you need to go into the interior design field.
Some of the specific courses you’ll take include:
- Architectural Drafting
- Concepts in Interior Design
- Decorative Arts for Interiors
- History of Interiors
- Materials and Specifications
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below for more information!
FACS 200 – Interior Design I
You’ll learn about the spatial relationship humans have with their environment in two and three dimensional applications through applied research
FACS 345 – Materials and Specifications
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Material components used by the designer
- Specification of surface finishes, architectural details, and furnishings
FACS 445 – History of Interiors
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The historical development of furniture, interiors, and the decorative arts from Ancient Egypt to the present
- Studies of cultural and personality influences, design philosophy and social movements and its impact on design
Highlights of Our Interior Design Degree
- Our Family and Consumer Sciences Department ranked #1 in the state of Virginia.
- The required internship towards the end of this degree provides hands-on experience and potential job opportunities.
- Our on-campus clubs allow students to connect with peers and professionals in the field. These clubs include the Family and Child Development Association, Interior Design Association, Fashion Design and Merchandising Association, Event Planning Society, and FACS Honor Society.
- Our students participated in the Virginia Furniture Market Design Competition, and winners received $2,500 in scholarship prize money.
- Field trips are available to the International Home Furnishings Market in High Point, NC, Lynchburg Stained Glass, and Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest.
Interior Design Degree Information
Career Opportunities for Interior Design Graduates
- Kitchen designer
- Retail furniture and accessories buyer, designer, or representative
- Sales representative
- Space planner
- Specialty designer: lighting, flooring, historic preservation
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores (Liberty University is offering test-optional admission for Spring, Summer, and Fall 2021 applicants)
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.