Design Your Own Unique Degree with a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies
A wise person once said, “Being the best is great, you’re the number one. Being unique is greater, you’re the only one.” You are the only you, so you deserve a degree specifically tailored to what God has called you to. With a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies, you can design a degree to meet your personal or professional passions. Create your degree by choosing two or three areas of study and shape your degree completion plan the way you want it.
Through our interdisciplinary studies degree, you can study multiple disciplines and how to effectively communicate your ideas so that you can thrive in today’s constantly changing work environments. By choosing more than one focus, you can adapt to many different areas or combine complementary skills that will make you invaluable as you enter the workforce.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies?
With a degree in interdisciplinary studies, you can maximize any prior college credit, military training, experience, or on-the-job training you may have and turn it into credit towards your degree. This can help you earn your degree faster and in a more affordable manner. Some schools call this a “general studies” degree, but to better represent the variety of courses integrated into this program, we named our degree “interdisciplinary studies.”
Throughout this degree program, we will help you refine your goals and shape your degree to best suit your professional needs. The internships and professional development courses you take will help prepare you for success in the job market. Additionally, our professors will provide you with training and instruction from the years of experience they possess in their field.
You can be confident that your courses will be taught from a Christian worldview, as we place specific focus on giving you the spiritual support you need. From time spent with the spiritual leaders on your hall, to attendance at Convocation (similar to chapel), there are many opportunities to receive spiritual guidance and grow in your relationship with God. Make friendships that will last a lifetime as you meet students from all 50 states and more than 70 different countries. Enjoy activities together with over 200 student-led clubs and recreation centers like Snowflex, the LaHaye Ice Center, and Camp Hydaway.
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies?
Our interdisciplinary studies degree is specifically designed to increase your job marketability by expanding your foundational knowledge in a variety of areas. No matter what areas of study you choose to pursue, you will receive training in some basic disciplines like career planning, professional development, communication skills, writing, and public speaking. What you learn in this degree varies based on what your goals and passions are.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out the featured courses below to find out more about what you’ll be studying!
INDS 200 – Career Planning and Professional Development
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Conducting specific job research, and solidifying career plans using critical thinking and logic
- Designed to promote and strengthen early awareness of the career development process
- Networking and job search techniques, resume building, and effective interviewing skills for a relevant field of interest.
- Personalized topics and competencies include assessing, identifying, and evaluating personal values and personality strengths for career application
INDS 400 – Knowledge Synthesis for Professional Development
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- How to assess student mastery of content knowledge for the interdisciplinary studies degree programs
- Requires students to produce a carefully organized summation and synthesis of accomplishments, learning, and goals related to their undergraduate degree program at Liberty University
- Transferable skills and qualifications and how these relate to career opportunities and/or graduate school respectively
INDS 499 – Integration of Faith, Learning, and Disciplines
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Enhanced awareness of the responsibilities and skills needed for professional employment
- Provides hands-on educational experience for students through meeting specific learning objectives that can apply to an area of study or free electives within their INDS degree program
Highlights of Our Interdisciplinary Studies Bachelor Degree Program
- For each area of study, you can choose a general or specialized area of study.
- Generalized areas of study give you a variety of courses to choose from multiple disciplines.
- Specialized areas of study require you to take specific classes from a particular discipline.
- You’ll have the opportunity to utilize your previous college credit, military training, or other non-traditional sources into credit towards the completion of this degree.
- Our Department of Interdisciplinary Studies is conveniently located in DeMoss Hall where residential students can easily meet with faculty advisors and address any concerns or questions they have.
By choosing two to three areas of study, you can customize your degree to serve your unique passions and goals. With over 20 areas of study, we are confident you will find the right combination:
- Aviation Sciences
- Behavioral Sciences
- Communication Studies
- Computational Sciences
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Fine Arts
- Health Sciences
- Language Studies
- Military Science
- Natural Sciences
- Paralegal Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Sport Studies
- Technical Studies
Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies Degree Information
Career Opportunities for Bachelor’s in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Work as a business translator by combining business and language.
- Work as a logistician by combining computational sciences and business.
- Work as a telemedical technician by combining business and computational sciences.
- Work as a medical illustrator by combining natural science and fine arts.
- Work in airport management by combining business and aviation.
- Work in parks and recreation by combining natural science, government, and communications.
- Please see our suggested career paths for more inspiration.
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores (Liberty University is offering test-optional admission for Spring, Summer, and Fall 2021 applicants)
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.