Employee Benevolence Fund
“Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.” –
On behalf of the generous giving of Liberty University employees, the Employee Benevolence Fund Council is committed to an effort to provide emergency relief to eligible faculty and staff members of the University who are facing an unforeseen, emergency, financial hardship. This fund is known as the LU Employee Benevolence Fund.
All requests for assistance from the Benevolence Fund shall be made by submitting an “LU Employee Emergency Assistance Application” to the Chairman of the Executive Committee. This application can be accessed online or by request from the Chairman of the Committee. The application should contain all information which will aid the Committee in evaluating the request. This could include medical bills, physician reports, fire or flood reports, documented loss of income due to illness or accident.
- All members of the Executive Committee will keep requests to and disbursements from the Fund confidential to individuals outside of the Executive Committee, except as required by other University policies and procedures or by law.
- The Executive Committee shall approve or deny requests based upon the criteria noted in the Eligibility Criteria section, and provided that funds are available for distribution.
- The person requesting assistance will be notified of the decision by the Chairman or their delegate.
- Upon approval of assistance, funds shall be requested from Accounting and in most cases, available within 5 working days, if not sooner.
The Executive Committee will evaluate employee requests and render decisions regarding the disbursement of funds in accordance with the following criteria:
- The requestor must be an employee of Liberty University in a full or part-time position and have been employed for at least one year. Temporary employees and student workers are not eligible.
- Requestor’s need for financial assistance must come from emergency, unforeseen circumstances beyond the employee’s control. This would not include living beyond one’s means. This undue, financial hardship may be the result of fire, theft, natural disasters such as flood, hurricane, or loss of essential property or primary residence due to circumstances beyond requestor’s (or requestor’s family’s) control. Also included would be dead within the immediate family, accident, illness or disability.
- Expenses that would not be included for consideration would be: poor financial planning, divorce, non-essential items such as cell phone, cable, credit card payments, expenses related to car repairs, general dentistry, bail, garnishments, judgments, childcare, debt repayment or consolidation, litigation, medical needs for which insurance or a charity hospital is available.
- Employees may submit only one application within an 18 month period. No more than 3 applications may be submitted within the employee’s total term of employment.
- A committee member may not participate in consideration of an application for an award to the member’s family.
The committee will review requests within 3 working days of receipt of the application. Due to fund availability, it may not always be possible to approve all qualifying requests. The amount awarded to all applicants cannot exceed the available balance in said Fund. Should the funds available not be sufficient to meet the current needs, the Fund Office will communicate the need via email to departments within the university. All decisions of the committee are final and there is no appeal process.
Contributions To The Fund
Employees and non-employees may make designated contributions to Liberty University for the Employee Benevolence Fund online or by check, cash or payroll deductions (for employees). Contributions made to this fund will be tax-deductible as a charitable donation. A year-end tax-deductible receipt will be sent to the donor in the first quarter of the following year. Tracking fund availability and awards will be the responsibility of the committee.