The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) requires that all social work programs have a gatekeeping process to ensure that you have a thorough understanding of the profession of social work and will be a good fit for the program and profession.
The BSW program at Liberty University includes 4 gates. You are expected to be knowledgeable of the requirements of each gate. You must apply for and be approved through all 4 gates to be eligible to graduate from the Social Work Program.
You may declare a major in social work at any time. However, this does not automatically approve you into the BSSW Program. You will be officially admitted into the program only after you have applied for and been approved through Gate 1, which includes successfully passing SOWK 294. Typically, if you are following a more traditional 4-year schedule, you are eligible to apply for Gate 1 (SOWK 294) in your sophomore year. If you are a hybrid student who transfers in courses, you may be eligible to apply as soon as your second semester at LU, depending on the transferred courses. If you have not met the criteria by that time, you may apply in a subsequent fall or spring semester.
All of the following criteria must be met in order to be eligible to apply for Gate 1 (SOWK 294):
- You must be in good standing with the department, which includes the following:
- Have a “C” or higher in all Major Requirements and Gate Prerequisite courses.
- Maintain satisfactory citizenship and ethical behavior.
- Consistently demonstrate the values of the profession: integrity, service, the value of human relationships, dignity, and worth of a person, competence, and social justice.
- You must complete a minimum of 15 hours of volunteer work at a social service agency; this excludes church ministry volunteering in areas such as nursery, youth group, etc.
- You must have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- All required prerequisite courses for Gate 1 (SOWK 294) must either be completed or in progress during the semester you are registered for SOWK 294.
- SOWK 101 is the only prerequisite that must be completed prior to a student’s enrollment in SOWK 294.
Students will register for the Gate courses through A.S.I.S.T in the same manner that registration for traditional classes are done. Hybrid/Online students can also get registered for Gate courses by contacting LUO Advising. Students must register for these courses by the registration deadlines for A term courses set by the Registrar’s office.
Each course is a 16-week, 0-credit course. Each course is also Pass/Fail. All assignments must be submitted correctly by the deadline to avoid being dropped from the course. If dropped, you will need to be re-enrolled for the course in a later semester.
You can only be enrolled in one Gate course per semester. Approval through each Gate (a passing grade for the course) must be granted before you can continue forward into the next Gate course.
Grading & Attendance
There will be assignments due weekly for each course like any other course. Successful completion of all assignments by assigned deadlines and full or provisional approval in the Gate 1 Decision assignment is required to successfully complete this course. Assignments will not be accepted if submitted more than two weeks past the assigned deadline. These courses are Pass/Fail. The following would result in a failing grade for the course:
- Not being granted approval through the Gate associated with the course (Gate 1, 2, 3, or 4)
- Failing to complete the Field Enrollment Process associated with the course (Gate 2 or Gate 3)
- Not passing the Comprehensive Exam associated with the course (Gate 4)
- Failing to submit the required assignments for the course by each deadline (Gate 1, 2, 3, or 4).
Tuition & Credit Hours
There are no tuition costs associated with the gate courses. Gate courses are 0 credits each and will not impact the number of credit hours you can take in a semester.
If you have questions about the Gate process, please email email@example.com.