The Spirit of the Mountain
The Liberty University Marching Band is an exciting company of brass, woodwind, and percussion instrumentalists, accented and accompanied by a full-color guard. In true drum corps style, The Spirit of the Mountain maintains the highest level of excellence, discipline, and musicianship. Sporting uniforms of red, white and blue, the Band is a favorite at home football games, as guests at football games in other stadiums, and as featured performers in community events. The Spirit of the Mountain has appeared in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, at the New York Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands for 80,000 spectators, and at colleges and universities throughout the Eastern United States.
New Phone-Based Drill and Music Delivery! GET READY!
The Liberty University Marching Band is excited to announce that we are going paperless this Fall! Basically, all music and drill will be distributed to your iPhone or Android Phone. So, while we know that about 98% of the band already has a smartphone, this fall, everyone is required to have a smartphone to operate. We have been learning from other major university bands that have adopted this system, and now we are, too! The system to which we are subscribing is Ultimate Drill Book. You are welcome to take a look at their site and the many tutorials. We will be providing your drill, music, and possibly other features such as document sharing and attendance on your smartphone. Here’s what you will need:
1. Smartphone^ – you must have your own (Hopefully, you already have this):
iOS iPhone 6 or later iPad Mini 4 or later* iPad Air 2 or later* iPad Pro 2017 or later* iPod touch 6th generation* Android Android phones running Android 7.0 or later Android tablets running Android 7.0 or later*
*Devices larger than a phone are not recommended, because they are too heavy for an instrument lyre.
^You may also want to bring to rehearsals a portable battery backup/charger for your phone.
2. eFlip Lyre – you must purchase your own (percussion will buy the Gibraltar phone mount)
The eFlip Lyre, like your marching shoes, will be each member’s responsibility to purchase. We have been granted a free shipping discount this summer from Tonal Innovation, due to all of our band members purchasing their own. Use the discount code: LIBERTY
Please see chart below for recommended eFlip Lyre model**
While some other vendors carry this product, and you are certainly welcome to purchase from them, I think you will get the best deal shown above.
3. Ultimate Drill Book – The LU Marching Band is paying for your subscription, so you will not incur this cost. We will be distributing access to this app on the first day of Band Camp.
**Below are the eFlip Lyre models as recommended by Tonal Innovation:
Model T (out of stock until June) Trombone Trumpet
Model F Piccolo Tuba/Contra
Original Model (these must pair with your existing traditional lyre) Clarinet Mellophone Saxophone Baritone And any other instrument that uses a traditional lyre
Battery, Front Ensemble, Back Ensemble THIS IS UPDATED. Ultimate Drill Book company recommended the following for percussion, which is what other ensembles have found good for rim or field frame mounting. In keeping with the plan for all band members to own their own lyre, please order this for yourself. https://drumsonsale.com/gibraltar-sc-bdspm-bass-drum-smart-phone-mount.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwPa97qeb6gIVjZOzCh1kMwN0EAQYCCABEgKu6vD_BwE . As for all other considerations, your drill, documents, attendance, and other items will be distributed on your smartphone using the Ultimate Drill Book.
Guard, Field Crew, Staff You will need a smartphone only for drill, documents, attendance, etc. So, don’t delay! Be sure to acquire what you need early! Get your items before other bands buy out the stock. Certainly place your order by July 1.
Shoe and Glove Requirement – buy now!
The Liberty University Marching Band is pleased that you will soon wear our very sharp and state-of-the-art uniforms. While the uniform (jacket, trousers, shako & plume, gauntlets, rain gear) is provided by the band, all members are required to purchase their own BLACK gloves and “Drill Masters” black shoes (sorry, no other shoe is accepted that you may have had from high school, even if they are rather new). We have required these shoes for a few years now, and it presents a professional appearance. Please order your shoes from a vendor of your choosing, such as Bandshoppe.com. Gloves may be any brand, cotton or grip, etc. Our guard section will place a separate order for their unique footwear and gloves. You may also contact Trevor Musser, Head Field Commander, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Our local music store, Lynchburg Music Center, will also offer these shoes and gloves for sale at band camp check-in. Prices may vary. We very much prefer, however, that you arrive at band camp, already owning your shoes and gloves.
Application and Audition
Apply and Audition to be a member of The Spirit of the Mountain in three easy steps: Application, Audition, and Scholarship — all online!The final deadline to secure your position in the show drill is June 1 — please apply in advance to allow time to complete the application and audition process.If you have more questions, you can send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.Fall 2020 Marching Band Percussion auditions will consist of a video submission that is due on Friday, April 3rd, by 5pm. Audition music has been uploaded to the audition page. Please email Tommy Goddard, email@example.com, for any questions you may have.Fall 2020 Color Guard auditions will consist of a video submission that is due on Saturday, April 4th, by 11:59pm. Please email Bryanna Boyd, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
Marching Band Promotional Video
Learn more about our program and what it means to be a member of The Spirit of the Mountain.
(All documents, music, and media on these links are for band members and staff only. Do not post on social media or any other public distribution.)
Fall 2020 Show – Everlasting
- Power of Love – by Huey Lewis
- Come And Get Your Love – by Redbone
- You and Me – Flume Remix
- L.O.V.E. – by Nat “King” Cole
- Love On Top – by Beyonce
- Natural Woman – made popular by Aretha Franklin,
- This Will Be – as performed by Natalie Cole
- Can’t Help Falling In Love – arr. by Jay Dawson
Fall 2019 Show – Take Me Home
- America – by Simon & Garfunkel
- Sweet Home Alabama – by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Hawaii Five-O– by Morton Stevens
- Carry On My Wayward Son – by Kansas
- The Devil Went Down To Georgia – by Charlie Daniels
- Take Me Home, Country Roads – by John Denver
- New York State Of Mind –as performed by Billy Joel
- Party In The USA – as performed by Miley Cyrus
- America The Beautiful – by performed by The Troupers Drum Corps
Fall 2018 Show – I Got Rhythm!
- Sing, Sing, Sing – by Benny Goodman
- Can’t Stop Believin’ – by Journey
- I Got Rhythm – by George Gershwin
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody – by Whitney Houston
- Rhythm/Fight Club– by Cavaliers Drum Corps
- Can’t Stop The Feeling – By Justin Timberlake
- Everything Must Change – as performed by The Blue Devils
- Unchained Melody – by Graeme Koehne
Fall 2017 Show
“The Spirit of the Mountain” is pleased to announce our 2017 show entitled: “Feelin’ Good.” The show features pieces on the theme of good times, including music from Appalachian Spring as well as music from recent popular musicians, including:
- Promise of Living by Aaron Copland
- Feelin’ Good by Michael Buble’
- I Feel Good by James Brown
- Shout by The Isley Brothers
- I Got A Feelin’ by Blackeyed Peas
- Goot Time by Owl City & Carly Rae Jebsen
- Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy as performed by American Revival
- Simple Gifts by Aaron Copland
- Ode To Joy by Ludwig van Beethoven
Fall 2016 Show
“The Spirit of the Mountain” is pleased to announce our 2016 show entitled: “On Fire.”The show features pieces on the theme of fire & flames, including music from the Firebird Suite as well as music from recent popular musicians, including:
- Burn by Ellie Goulding
- I See Fire by Ed Sheerin
- Inferno by Robert W. Smith
- Set Fire To The Rain by Adele
- Girl On Fire by Alisha Keys
- Just Like Fire by Pink from
- Stop, Drop & Roll by Tyler Loftin
- Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky
Fall 2015 Show
Light Up the Night
“The Spirit of the Mountain” is pleased to announce our 2015 show, “Light Up the Night!” This season’s show features songs about night time, stars, and the sky. The show features several pop tunes, as well as some traditional band and orchestra music that both the crowd and band members will love, including:
- A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay
- Moondance as performed by The Cadets
- Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra
- Firework by Katy Perry
- Mars and Jupiter from The Planets by Gustav Holst
- Counting Stars by One Republic
- On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons