Frequently Asked Questions


Financial Summary Dashboard

Assets & Pool Accounts

Infor, Per Diem


What is buyLU?

The purchasing tool, buyLU, is Liberty University’s new online catalog and ordering solution. The system is an on-demand software model and is the University's current requisitioning system.

Who will be able to place orders through buyLU?

All employees will have the role of “Shopper” and have the ability to shop and add items to the shopping cart. Only designated employees will have the role of “Requestor” to actually submit the shopping cart. The shopping cart will then route to “Approvers” for review and approval to make the purchase.

What if the supplier that I need to order from is not a Hosted or Punch-out Supplier? 

Orders are placed to these suppliers using a “Non-Catalog Requisition” form. The form is filled out and added to the shopping cart and continues through the standard workflow requisition process. Procurement will use the “Frequency of Item and Comments” section of these forms to determine if the supplier should be added as a Hosted or Punch-out Catalog Supplier. (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, Section V.D.1-7. The Non-Catalog Requisition Form)

Should I use buyLU for my travel arrangements?

Group travel should be submitted via a requisition in buyLU.

Individual travel should be booked using the Liberty University Booking site or through the Liberty University Travel Office.

How do I add a FOAPAL for me to select during checkout?

This can be accomplished by going to “View My Profile,” under “Default User Settings,” then select “Custom Field and Accounting Code Defaults” and then select the “Code Favorites” tab, then select the “Add” button. (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, section III.B.1. Custom Field and Accounting Code Defaults)

How do I designate a Cart Assignee?

This can be accomplished by going to “View My Profile,” then select “Default User Settings,” then select “Cart Assignees,” then select the “Add Assignee” button to search for the desired user. (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, Section III.B.3. Cart Assignees)

Why do I see two places where I can select the account number for an item?

The immediate FOAPAL section that shows up once you select “Proceed to Checkout,” is the "header FOAPAL." A FOAPAL element added in that section will default to all lines on the requisition. Note that if you do not know what account to select at the header, you should select the account at the line level. Line level account will only display valid account numbers for that item. (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, Section VII.B. Checking Out)

How will I know if my order was approved and placed with the vendor?

This can be accomplished by going to “View My Profile,” then select “Default User Settings,” then select “Notification Preferences.” Users can customize these settings to change the type of notifications and/or emails they receive for each function listed. To change the notification settings choose from the Notification Preferences menu in your user profile: Choose one of the options by clicking on it. To change this setting select the “Edit Section” link that is located in the upper right of the screen. Then select the “Override” radio button and choose an option from the dropdown menu next to “None.” (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, Section IV.A.7. Notifications)

Should I still email Procurement with the W-9 for a new supplier and two quotes when the amount is greater than $10,000?

No, emails to Procurement are no longer needed. These documents are still required by Procurement; however, users can now attach required documents directly to the Non-Catalog Requisition Form by using the “Add Attachments” button. The attached documents will travel with the requisition with the approval process. (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, Section V.D.6. Attachments)

How do I remove an item from my shopping cart?

You can remove items from your cart in several ways. 

  • You can remove an item by using the view cart option at the top of the screen and clicking the trashcan icon next to the item you want to delete.
  • You can access your cart from the slide-out menu (Shop / My Carts and Orders / Open My Active Shopping Cart). Click the box to the right of the item you wish to remove. Activate the drop-down menu next to “Perform an action,” and choose “Remove Selected Items.”
  • You can also remove an item by selecting the “Remove” button within the item in your cart. (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, Section VII.A.4. Removing items in the cart)

Where can I view the changes made to my buyLU profile?

This can be accomplished by going to “View My Profile,” then select “User History,” then select “View User’s History.” (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, Section III.G. User History)

How can I tell what role I have in buyLU?

You can check your role in your User Profile under “User Roles and Access,” then select “Assigned Roles.” (For more information, refer to the buyLU Purchasing Manual, Section III.C. User Roles and Access)

Can I still use my p-card to go to Walmart and purchase food for an event?

Yes, p-cards can still be used for point of sale purchases.


Financial Summary Dashboard

Where does the data come from?

The data that displays in this dashboard comes directly from Banner.

Is the data real time?

This data is updated once a day around 4:00 AM. The information you are looking at on the dashboard is up to date through the prior day.

Who has access to the data?

Anyone who is currently an employee of Liberty can access the dashboard; however, an employee can only see the transactions that contain FOAPALs that they have query access to in Banner. In other words, just because one can access the dashboard, does not mean that any data will be visible.

What do I do if I am not seeing the organizations or accounts that I should see?

Contact Finance Training to confirm your Fund/Org access. If access is not accurate, submit a Fund/Org request. Please note that Fund/Org access requires supervisor approval.

Is there a way to save a custom view of the dashboard?

If there is one set of filtering that you find yourself going back to time after time, it will be beneficial for you to set up a custom view. In order to do this, simply select the view option in the upper right of the dashboard (should say “Original View” unless you are looking at a customized view for your department). After saving the view and checking “Make it My Default,” you will be able to come back to the dashboard later, and it will apply the filters that you had selected immediately.

Can I recieve an email that shows me my dashboard data automatically?

You can also subscribe through email, and Tableau will send you a scheduled image of the dashboard. This could be useful for a quick view of one specific selection. In order to do this, simply click the envelope icon in the top right, enter your email address and desired time, and click subscribe.

How do I export this data?

There are a couple of choices when it comes to exporting data from Tableau. If the need arises to show someone the data that you’re viewing in the dashboard, and you don’t want to have to replicate all of the filtering and actions that you have performed in order to share what you’re seeing, simply click the “Download” icon and then select “PDF.” This will allow you to create a pdf file of the data exactly as you see it so that you can easily email or save it (please do not allow any individuals without the proper Fund/Org access to view these exports).

If you would like to export a certain portion of the data into excel, select the portion of the dashboard that you would like to export, click the download icon, and select “Crosstab.” A dialogue box will appear that alerts you that the crosstab has been created, select download, and open the file from your downloads folder.

Oops, I think I messed up. What now?

If you have been using filters, actions, or just clicking around and you lose track of what data you are viewing, simply click the “Revert” button at the top of the page. This will remove all filters and actions, giving you a clean slate.

Are there other pages in the dashboard that I can look at?

Currently, you have access to Organization Revenue & Expenses Account Summary, Organization Revenue & Expenses, and Budget Summary. In the future, there may be additional pages that are specific to the overall division the Financial Summary Dashboard supports.

If you have specific information that you would like to see in addition to your Financial Summary Dashboard, please submit a Report Request through the IT HelpDesk or contact your Analytics & Decision Support team.

Why is my tuition revenue not showing?

The Financial Summary Dashboard is intended to show an “unallocated” look at expenses and revenue. Therefore, you will see only the direct revenues collected by your area. All tuition-based revenue is reported using an allocation method not currently available in this view. 

How do I know what Fund/Org access I currently have?

You can look to see what your current fund/org access by going to the My Fund/Org Access Dashboard. Within this view, you can see each Fund and Organization to which you have viewing access.


Assets & Pool Accounts

What is a pool account?

A pool account is an account that consolidates the funding from separate accounts for NSF checking purposes. This ensures that requisitions will not go NSF because a purchase was moved to a different account.

What accounts are included in the pool accounts?

There are currently two pool accounts related to asset purchases; 7910 for Non-Capital and Capital Expenditures and 7911 for Non-Capital and Capital Medical Expenditures.

Why is my furniture requisition for $350 NSF when I have $1,050 in the account?

The NSF error could be caused by either pending documents or a negative balance in the pool account 7910.

  • Make sure no pending documents are reserving funds.
  • Verify pool account balance has enough funding.
    • Either add balances of all pool accounts
      732003 (1,227.57)
      791011 1,050.00
      791012 500.00
      7910 Total 322.43
  • Or query the pool account balance using FGIBAVL in Banner INB

Why are my purchases being coded to Small Equipment and Furnishings (732003) if I requisition using a different account?

Finance will amend the account code on assets that do not meet capitalization criteria. For instance, you may purchase a bookshelf for $350 but Accounting does not need to add that bookshelf to the depreciation schedule so it will be moved to an account that does not tag the asset as a capital purchase.

Why can’t I adjust the account code myself?

The asset account codes route requisitions through any necessary conditional approvals. When the account is adjusted during the requisition process it will bypass necessary approvals which will result in the requisition being canceled.

Do I need to transfer funds to 732003 to clear the NSF?

No, it is not necessary to transfer funding to 732003 if it is already budgeted within the pool account.

How do I know where to budget asset purchases?

All purchases should be budgeted in the appropriate asset account (where the requisition will be submitted). Asset purchases that have the potential to be moved by Finance have been grouped into pool accounts. 

Why isn’t the pool account visible in all budget queries?

The Budget Availability Query (FGIBAVL) is the only query that contains the table used by Banner for NSF checking. Since pool accounts are only used during the NSF checking process they are only visible in FGIBAVL.

Why do I need a location code on asset purchases?

The location code identifies where on campus an asset is located and is a required field in the Fixed Asset system used by Accounting to manage capital assets. 


Infor, Per Diem

What is Infor?

Infor is the software program that is used to manage expenses incurred by University employees whether they are on a University P-Card, per diem allowance, an out-of-pocket expense, or a cash advance.

Who has access to Infor?

All University employees, excluding student employees, have an Infor account. The link is available on myLU.

Employees who do not reconcile their own transactions will need to set up a proxy to reconcile on their behalf.

How do I become a proxy?

The employee will need to set you up as a ‘Creator Proxy’ in Infor. Have the employee login to Infor and click on the ‘Creator Proxy’ tab on their user profile.

  • Application: Expense Report

  • Proxy User ID: Username of reconciler

    Note: Make sure to check the boxes to ‘Allow creator proxies to submit’.

How do I request per diem for an employee who does not have a P-Card?

Per diem for employees who do not have a P-Card should be requested as a reimbursement after travel has occurred. Proxy as the employee who needs a per diem reimbursement and creates a monthly Expense Report. Add the Per Diem Allowance to the Expense Report along with any other out-of-pocket expenses. At the end of the month, after all expenses have been reconciled, submit the Expense Report.

How do I request a per diem check before the employee begins travel?

If per diem and any out-of-pocket travel expenses will exceed $100, the employee may request a cash advance. Proxy as the employee who needs the advance and creates an Expense Report with the purpose of ‘Cash Advance Request’. Submit the Expense Report at least 10 business days before the advance is needed.

Reconciliation will also need to be completed after travel has occurred. Proxy as the employee who received a cash advance check and creates a monthly Expense Report. Add line items for the per diem allowance and any other out-of-pocket expenses. Attach receipts for all of the out-of-pocket expenses, excluding per diem meals. At the end of the month, after all expenses have been reconciled, submit the Expense Report.

How do I request per diem for an employee who does not work in my department?

The employee will need posting access to the appropriate organization code. Please submit a Fund/Org Access request form. Employees are required to have attended Finance 100 in order to be granted access to a budget other than their home department.

How do I request per diem for a non-University employee?

Payments to non-employees should be accompanied by a contractual agreement and a Banner Requisition, or Banner Encumbrance if a Short Form Agreement is used. If the proper Banner document was not submitted, a Payment Request will need to be submitted in Infor.

What do I do if the person is not listed as a vendor?

If the vendor has a vendor number in Banner, contact with the L# for the vendor to be added in Infor. If the vendor does not have a vendor number in Banner, complete the following steps:

  • Obtain a W9 from the vendor
  • Email to
  • Provide a copy of the invoice, website or any detailed information about the vendor to Accounts Payable



chat live 2 Chat Live
Asset 1 Request Info
Asset 1 Apply Now
visit Visit Liberty