When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.
Apply Give

NCAA Student-Athlete Insurance Information

This information is provided to NCAA Athletes regarding responsibility for medical expenses and insurance in the event a student-athlete sustains an injury from participating in an intercollegiate sport.

In keeping with the voluntary nature of NCAA programs, the primary source for the payment of costs associated with the treatment of the injuries incurred by student-athletes while participating in an intercollegiate sport is the student-athlete or his or her family.

However, the NCAA does require institutions to certify the existence of insurance coverage for medical expenses resulting from athletically-related injuries sustained by a student-athlete during NCAA-sanctioned competition or supervised practice. To that end, Liberty University carries a basic accident insurance plan administered by AG Administrators.

Basic accident insurance plan carried by LU:

  • Covers only those eligible expenses not paid or reimbursed after a student-athlete’s other insurers (individual, family, or employer group) have made payment
  • Will not duplicate benefits already paid by other insurers
  • Excludes those bills incurred that were “payable” by the family health insurance plan
  • Coverage under the accident plan is subject to specific policy terms and conditions and includes certain restrictions and exclusions of which you should be aware:
    • Covers only new injuries that are sustained during NCAA-sanctioned competition or supervised practice
    • Pre-existing injuries, off-season (any period not specified by the NCAA as sanctioned practice, or weight lifting in the off-season) injuries, injuries incurred during the season that are not directly related to in-season competition or a supervised practice are not covered
  • Will pay covered unreimbursed expenses up to $90,000 per accident limit; the NCAA provides a catastrophic accident insurance plan for incurred costs greater than $90,000
  • The student-athlete and his/her family must follow proper procedures for filing claims with the primary insurance plan
  • If parents or students choose not to use the authorized medical providers of their plan, they should be aware that LU basic accident insurance plan will not pay the bills incurred that would have been honored had they used the proper providers or procedures.
    • For example, if the primary insurance is a HMO, a referral may need to be obtained for the student-athlete to see a physician in our area that may be outside the HMO coverage area
    • The LU basic accident insurance plan is only responsible for medical charges that would have been payable had the proper procedures been followed and the proper vendors used
    • Please note that the university’s sport medicine staff generally refers student-athletes to local area healthcare providers for the provision of medical care
    • It is the student-athlete’s responsibility to confirm that the healthcare provider is in the student-athlete‘s insurance network, and to obtain any pre-authorizations required by the student-athlete‘s insurance
    • Student-athletes are encouraged to check with their primary insurance plans for information regarding Guest Memberships; many carriers offer Guest Memberships when you or any of your dependents will be staying temporarily outside the service area for more than 90 days

If a student-athlete is injured and generates medical expenses, he/she can help the excess plan provide better service by following these steps and providing the following information:

  • The student athlete should present his/her primary insurance company address and policy number to the attending health care provider (This is the student-athlete’s primary insurance company)
  • File the claim with your insurer(s) as soon as possible
  • Retain copies of itemized bills for use when submitting the claim to the excess insurance plan (NOT BALANCE DUE STATEMENTS)
  • When explanation of benefit (EOB) forms are received from your insurer(s), copies of the EOB forms and copies of itemized bills should be mailed to the following address:
    • A-G Administrators, Inc. Attn: Liberty Claims, P.O. Box 979, Valley Forge, PA, 19482

A-G Administratorsfor more information about the LU Student Accident Insurance Plan.

To check the status on a claim visit https://agadministrators.com/check-claim-status or call 610.933.0800

Chat Live Chat Live Request Info Request Info Apply Now Apply Now Visit Liberty Visit Liberty