- Active Learning for the College Classroom
- Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the College Classroom
- A Positive Solution for Plagiarism
- Tips for Preventing Plagiarism
- Plagiarism: Proactive Prevention Instead of Reactive
- Plagiarism in higher education: A case study with prospective academicians
- A Lesson in Academic Integrity as Students Feel the Injustice of Plagiarism
- An Introduction to Adult Learners – M. Connor
- Book Review: Adult Learners in the Academy by Lee Bash – A. Ruleman
- Highlights from Adult Learning – C. Aslanian, Union University
- Serving Adult Learners: Principles of Effectiveness – Carroll CC
- Successful Study Strategies for Nontraditional Adult Learners
Assessment of Learning
- Assessment Process – James Madison
- Classroom Assessment Techniques – A Summary of Angelo & Cross
- A Model of Learning Objectives- Iowa State University
- The Importance of Teaching Effective Self-Assessment by Stephen Chew
- Capstone Design Courses and Assessment – National study
- From Capstone to Cornerstone – Hyman
- Challenges in Teaching Capstone Courses – Adams, Daniels, & Goold
- Capstone Projects as Community Connectors – Borriello
- What are Case Studies? – Carnegie Mellon
- Case-Based Teaching – Howard
- Teaching Methods Using Case Studies – David & Wilcock
- National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
- Promotion of Critical Thinking by using Case Studies as Teaching Method – Popil
- Assessing Case Studies with Rubrics – Saint Peters
- Collaborative Conceptual Design – Wang, Shen, Xie, Neelamkauil, & Pardasani
- Working with Collaborative Projects – M. Glenn
- Assessing Individual Performance in Collaborative Projects – S.E. Kruck & H.L. Reif
- Tools for Collaboration – Scholarship Experts
- Online Collaborative Projects – Teachers’ Corner
- Critical Thinking Skills in Education and Life
- Critical Thinking Development: A Stage Theory
- Critical Thinking Framework – Duron & Waugh
- Critical Thinking in the College Classroom
- Global Learning – AACU
- Linking Diversity and Educational Purpose – Hurtado
- Resources for Education Worldwide – Downes
- “Just Check My Grammar” – University of North Carolina
- Supporting ESL Students Through Inclusive Teaching – Ontario College of Art & Design
FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
- Video by Liberty University General Counsel, David Corry, explaining the Act (video is also located in the FCC CAD)
Graduate Student Assistants
- Improving College Teaching – JSTOR
- On the Road to Becoming a Professor – JSTOR
- The effects of praise-worthy grading – IUP
- Undergraduate Business Internships and Career Success – Gault, Redington, & Schlager
- Search for internships on Internships.com
- Internships and the Sociological Perspective – Parilla & Hesser
- Are internships worthwhile? – Henry
- Undergraduate internships: Problems and prospects – Satarino & Rogers
- Seven tips for internship success – Internships.com
- Professional Learning Communities: What They Are and Why They Are Important – SEDL
- Learning Communities – Learning Forward
- Adding Value: Learning Communities and Student Engagement – Wang & Kuh
- Teaching by Lecture
- Lecturing Effectively in the University Classroom – Waterloo
- Colleges Go Proactive with Flipped Classrooms – Ed Tech
Math and Science Repository
- Applied Math and Science Repository is a portal of educational resources and services.
Problem Based Learning (PBL)
- ABCs of PBL – US National Library of Medicine
- Assessing the Effectiveness of PBL in Higher Ed – Major & Palmer
- Measurement and Analysis of Student Engagement in University Classes – Ahlfeldt, Mehta, & Sellnow
- Overview of Problem-Based Learning: Definitions and Distinctions – Savery
- The Motivation to Learn Begins with a Problem – U. Delaware
Research with Students
- Becoming a Scientist: The Role of Undergraduate Research – Hunter, Laursen, & Seymour
- What College Students Say about Conducting Research in the Digital Age – Ed.gov
- EDUCAUSE Center for Applied Research
- Creating a Rubric – Online Faculty Tutorial
- American Association of Colleges and Universities – VALUE (Valid Assessment of Learning in Undergraduate Education) Rubrics
- Rubric Samples for Higher Education
- The Chronicle of Higher Education – A Rubric for evaluating student blogs
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- The SoTL at Indiana University Bloomington: View on the website.
- The SoTL at Vanderbilt University, Nashville Tennessee: View on the website.
- SoTL Journal for Christians in Higher Education: View on the website.
- Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: View on the website.
- Practice and Evidence of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education: View on the website.
- Implementing Service-Learning in Higher Ed – Bringle & Hatcher
- Integrating Community Service in Classroom Instruction Enhances Learning – Markus, Howard, & King
- Comparing the Effects of Community Service and Service Learning – Vogelgesang & Astin
- Reflection in Service Learning: Making Meaning of the Experience – Westmont
- Education Beyond the Classroom – EPA
- Service Learning and Volunteer Opportunities – Ed.gov
- Understanding and promoting student engagement in university learning communities
- Improving student engagement – Ten proposals for action
- What student engagement data tells us about college readiness – George D. Kuh
- What Faculty Can Do for Student Retention
- Faculty Roles in Student Retention
- Student Retention: Faculty Taking on a Bigger Role
- Instructional immediacy and the seven principles: Strategies for facilitating online courses – University of North Texas
- Literature Review: Conflict Resolution In Post-Secondary Online Education – J.Schroeder
- Synchronous online teaching – EDUcause
The Liberty University Library subscribes to the following Magna Publications. Off-site users will need to log in to their EZ Proxy account in order to access.
- The Teaching Professor provides insights and ideas for the best pedagogies and practices.
- Handbook on Test Development: Helpful Tips for Creating Reliable and Valid Classroom Test
- Guidelines for Constructing Multiple-Choice Items
- How to Prepare Better Multiple-Choice Test Items: Guidelines for University Faculty
Video – Recording & Editing
- Tips for editing video TED Talks
- Using video to improve practice Teaching Channel
- Guidelines for shooting effective video – S.Adams
- Tips for being on Camera in the Classroom
- The Chronicle of Higher Education has articles and blogs on the topic of life/work balance
- Dealing with Stress
- Videos on vocal techniques
- Work-Life Balance of Teaching Faculty
- Tips for being on Camera in the Classroom
Liberty University Resources
- Resource Guide: The provides an introduction to the array of opportunities and activities that are available to faculty. Faculty can access the document in the CAD FCC.
- Military Affairs: Office of Military Affairs.
- Athletic Support: Academic Support for Athletes.
- FERPA: View FERPA information.
- Research: .
Liberty University Center for Teaching Excellence Resources
- Recommended Reading: CTE recommends these books which can be found at the Jerry Falwell Library.
- FLI: For faith integration resources and successful examples of integration, visit our Faith Learning Integration (FLI) page and FLI Gallery.
- CTE FCC: View an array of resources and recorded training sessions on the CTE FCC. The link to the CTE FCC (Faculty Communication Center) can be found on your Canvas Dashboard beginning Fall 2020 (prior to Fall 2020, please see the CTE FCC in Blackboard).
- CTE Library: The CTE has a growing library of books available to borrow. Stop in and check them out.
Center for Academic Development Newsletters
- CTE, etcetera, vol 5. issue 2
- CTE, etcetera, vol 4. issue 2
- CTE, etcetera, vol 3. issue 2
- CTE, etcetera, vol 3. issue 1
- Volume 2
- CTE, etcetera…vol 1 issue 2, 2012
Online Book Reviews
Stylish Academic Writing. By Mrs. Carolyn Towles
The Virtual Student: A Profile and Guide to Working with Online Learners. By Dr. Anna Cates
Interested in submitting a book review? Email CTE.