When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.
Apply Give

Independent Study & Directed Research Courses


What is an independent study or directed research course?

When would an independent study or directed research course be needed?

What is the process for requesting an independent study or directed research course?

A request for an independent study or directed research course will need to be initiated in the Independent Study and Directed Research Form. The form will require some basic information and rationale for the requested course. This will be used by the department to evaluate if the course will be approved. Once the form is submitted it will be sent to the department chair, followed by the dean, and lastly the Provost Office for approval. If all three parties approve, then it will be sent to the Registrar’s office to create the approved course and proceed with registration provided that there are no holds or errors that prevent it. Once the course is registered, all standard registration policies will apply.

Important Reminders

  • You are responsible for verifying that your registrations are required for your degree(s). In addition, your degree will be conferred and awarded if all of the requirements have been met.
  • If you are a resident student taking online courses, you will be charged resident tuition as well as any other fees that apply. You are responsible for contacting Student Accounts or Financial Aid to discuss any tuition charges. Financial Aid may not be given for courses that are not applying to your degree(s). Registering for an online class may result in a change to your student account, visa status, military benefits, NCAA status, or financial aid. See the course registration page for more details.

What is the deadline for requests to be submitted?

Still have additional questions?

Submit Request

Chat Live Chat Live Request Info Request Info Apply Now Apply Now Visit Liberty Visit Liberty