Advanced Standing Master of Social Work
Advanced Standing Master of Social Work (MSW)
Equip yourself to serve others in difficult situations with an Advanced Standing Master of Social Work (MSW) degree from Liberty University. Get advanced training in social policy, research, and practice, as you put your new skills into practice in real-world scenarios. Learn how to engage with individuals, families, and groups, and help them navigate complex scenarios they are facing.
This degree prepares you for supervisory and managerial roles, as well as program development or clinical mental health roles. Study with highly qualified faculty members who are grounded in their Christian faith and dedicated to your success. All program faculty hold graduate degrees in social work, and have professional expertise in their area of study.
Gain Practical Experience Through Field Placement
You will complete 600 hours of field experience, either domestically or internationally under the supervision of a Social Work faculty member.
This degree is for students who already hold a Bachelor of Social Work from a CSWE-accredited program and allows them to complete the program in one year instead of two.
Academic Information for the for the Advanced Standing MSW
Programs of Study
Social Work Featured Courses
- Social Justice, Policy, & Advocacy (SOWK 625)
- Diversity & Cultural Humility (SOWK 650)
- Advanced Social Work Practice (SOWK 655)
- Advanced Generalist Field Experience & Seminar (SOWK 690)
Start Your Career in Social Work
Applicants to the Advanced Standing Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) must have:
- An earned baccalaureate degree in Social Work from a program that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Official transcripts must be provided before admission. Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy). Graduate-level GPA’s cannot be considered in place of a BSSW degree.
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.00 scale).
- Recommendations: Three (3) reference names and contact information including phone number. At least one (1) of these should be a field faculty member or program director from the BSW/BSSW program attended.
- Statement of Purpose: 400 minimum word statement of purpose addressing each of the following prompts.
- In 150 words, complete the following prompt: I desire to earn a Master of Social Work degree and attend Liberty University because…
- In 150 words, complete the following prompt: I show a posture of learning and respect when interacting with individuals, families, and groups by…
- In 100 words, discuss the following prompt: Please share about a personal challenge in your life and discuss how you have worked through this challenge. (Please do not share a challenge with your job).
- Writing Sample – Minimum 5 pages
- Final Field Evaluation from BSW/BSSW program.
- Complete Questionnaire
- Department/Faculty Admission Decision Required Review
Liberty University has achieved Candidacy for Accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education’s Commission on Accreditation.
Candidacy for a baccalaureate or master’s social work program by the Council on Social Work Education’s Commission on Accreditation indicates that it has made progress toward meeting the criteria for the assessment of program quality evaluated through a peer-review process. A program that has attained Candidacy has demonstrated a commitment to meeting the compliance standards set by the Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards but has not yet demonstrated full compliance.
Students who enter programs that attain Candidacy in or before the academic year in which they begin their program of study will be retroactively recognized as having graduated from a CSWE-accredited program once the program attains Initial Accreditation. Candidacy is typically a three-year process and attaining Candidacy does not guarantee that a program will eventually attain Initial Accreditation. Candidacy applies to all program sites and program delivery methods of an accredited program. Accreditation provides reasonable assurance about the quality of the program and the competence of students graduating from the program.
Career Opportunities in Social Work
- Program Development
- Program Director
- Mental Health Therapist
- Clinical Social Worker
- Social Work Supervisor
- School Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- Agency Director