Fix your hope. . .
How do we "fix our hope" when we are surrounded by distractions? This fix requires determination and a strategy.
From 1 Peter 1:13-16: "13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16 because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
Obstacles of hope
- Unfamiliarity - Do you know Jesus personally? Have you been introduced to The One who died on the cross for our sins?
- Worry - we are so distracted by worries of today. We worry about what we'll make for dinner. We worry about what people will think of us. We worry about the kids playing in the back yard. We worry.
- Fear - It is so easy to be fearful. Some are afraid of trying something new. Others are afraid of letting go of control. These fears keep our eyes from looking at Jesus.
Combating the obstacles
- A pastor in Tennessee introduced me to Jesus when I was a young boy. He explained how I could have my sins washed away if only I would believe in Him who died for me and repent of my sins. I believed. Read through Romans 3. Talk with a pastor or one of your professors to learn more about Christ.
- When I was younger, I had invested too much time in worrying. Today, I pray and ask Him to take my worries off of my back as He is capable and qualified to carry my concerns. What will you do with your worries? Read through Philippians 4:6-7.
- When one of my daughters was hospitalized for recurring abdominal migraines, my wife and I prayed with her over and over. We wrote Joshua 1:9 on the whiteboard in the hospital room every time she was admitted so that the verse was front and center. The verse encouraged all of us to not fear and be strong. What are you allowing to steal your hope?
Let us fix our hope on Him today.
Posted at 8:48 AM | Comments (0)