• The expression and management of one’s feelings to cope and thrive in relationships and pursue acceptance of one’s emotions.
• Those who value emotional wellness feel confident and in control of their behaviors and feelings. A result of great emotional wellness is the ability to control the challenges that life has.
- Engage in activities that ignite your senses: smell, taste, touch, sight, sound
- Visit Student Counseling Services or a community mental health professional for support
- Listen to soothing music
- Ask yourself “How am I feeling today?”
- Find a creative outlet
- Participate in a hobby to connect with others and build community
- Find companionship in interacting with animals
- Share feelings and thoughts with a close friend
- Watch your favorite movie
- Take delight in aromatherapy
- Take advantage of local trails and scenic routes
- Practice Diaphragmatic Breathing. Breathe in through your nose to a count of 4, hold for 1 second and then exhale through the mouth to a count of 5. Repeat for one full minute.
- Enjoy a stroll. As you walk, notice your breath and the sights and sounds around you. As thoughts and worries enter your mind, note them, but then return to the present.
- Practice mindful eating. Be aware of taste, textures, and flavors in each bite. Listen to your body when you are hungry and full.
Listen to “Challenging your Health Mindset”:
Cultivating a Life Well Lived:
Coping with Stress: Awareness, Community, Prayer & Meditation
Coping with Stress: Drugs, Alcohol, and Self-harm
But God kept them from recognizing him. He asked them, “What are you discussing so intently as you walk along?” They stopped short; sadness written across their faces. Then one of them, Cleopas, replied, “You must be the only person in Jerusalem who hasn’t heard about all the things that have happened there the last few days (Luke 24: 16-18, NLT).
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2 NASB)
Listen to our podcast: Challenging Your Health Mindset
Be empowered to change your health mindset. Listen as our Executive Director, Dr. Keith R. Anderson discusses the 9 dimensions of wellness with diverse guests who provide thought-provoking perspectives on holistic wellness topics.