When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.
Apply Give

Liberty News

Dr. Ed Hindson shares his own miracle story

October 15, 2008 : Teresa Dunham

Applause filled the Vines Center at Wednesday’s convocation as Liberty University’s own Dr. Ed Hindson took the podium.

Hindson is dean of LU’s Institute of Bible Studies, holds six degrees from around the world, has written many books, won the Religious Writer of the Year award, hosts his own television show called “The King is Coming” and holds the title of Distinguished Professor of Religion — but that’s not what drew the cheers.

As LU Vice Chancellor Ron Godwin phrased it: “[Hindson] had achieved in every area, but … the most recent and most dramatic — actually miraculous — thing about this man is that he spent 100 days in the local hospital fighting for his life, and he came out of that hospital more victorious than ever, more filled with the spirit, more determined to make a contribution here at Liberty University than ever before.”

Hindson’s battle started last winter when medical tests revealed that he had major blockages in five of his main cardiac arteries. He needed open heart surgery, and it initially seemed like the surgery went fine. He was out of bed, walking and joking the next day — but he was in bed gasping for air by the end of the second day when a lung collapsed.

A few days later, doctors determined that Hindson had a staph infection at the incision site, and inflammation soon spread until every organ in his body except his brain and heart shut down. Throughout March, he was on kidney dialysis nearly every day, and doctors later told Hindson that he almost died.

“I woke up with a determination to live, a determination to pray for a miracle in my life,” Hindson told students.

Waking up was only the beginning of the battle, though.

“After laying there dormant for two months, you lose all your physical muscle. Everything atrophies. I couldn’t sit up. I couldn’t stand up. I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t eat. I couldn’t swallow. They fed me with a feeding tube. For two months I did not drink anything,” he said.

When it came time to stand up, Hindson said his body felt like Jell-O. It took three nurses to help him — but he was alive, and God was pulling him through.

Another miracle came in May when a physical therapist told Hindson’s wife that he might not be walking by the time he left the hospital.

“I remember the look on her face in terror like, ‘You can’t send him home not walking. I can’t pick him up. I can’t carry him around,’” Hindson said.

That evening an LU student said she’d pray boldly that God would help Dr. Hindson walk by the next morning.

“I remember thinking, ‘Man, that’s bold — by tomorrow morning,’” Hindson said. “The next morning I took eight steps on a walker. God answered that prayer.”

Hindson also thanked the students for their many prayers and encouragement.

“God heard those prayers, and God answered those prayers,” he said.

Applying his experiences to Christian life, Hindson offered three biblical steps for anyone who is praying for a miracle. He told students to focus on the greatness of God, pray boldly and confidently, and pray in faith without doubting.

“If I’m going to get my prayers answered, I’ve got to remember who I’m talking to,” Hindson said, reminding students of God’s power over any obstacle.


Chat Live
Request Info
Apply Now
Visit Liberty