What is FERPA?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records. FERPA governs the release of these records (known as education records) maintained by an educational institution, as well as the access to these records.
How to Request to View a Document from your File at Liberty University
Protection under FERPA gives you the right to view your educational records at Liberty University.
You may request to view an item from your file by completing a Request to Review Academic Records Form. Get this form in person or by emailing LUCOM’s Office of the Registrar: LUCOMRegistrar@liberty.edu.
The completed form may be:
- Emailed to LUCOMRegistrar@liberty.edu
- Delivered in-person to the Registrar’s Office at LUCOM, CMHS 3069
- Mailed to LUCOM’s Registrar’s Office at the address below
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Center for Medical and Health Sciences
Attention: Registrar’s Office
306 Liberty View Lane
Lynchburg, VA 24502
FERPA requires that educational agencies and institutions comply with a request within a reasonable period of time, but not more than 45 days after receipt of a request. A copy of the document will normally be delivered to you in the same fashion as it was requested.
There are certain items in which Liberty will not supply a copy without a special exception granted by the Registrar (i.e., transcripts from other institutions). It’s expected that if a student needs a copy of a transcript from another institution that they will request it from the institution itself.
Important Notes About FERPA
- You must have documented FERPA authorization if you intend to designate a person(s) of your choice to manage your student account-related issues.
- An email request from an address other than your Liberty account will be returned to you unfulfilled. It must come from your Liberty account.
- Please be specific as to the document(s) you would like to view when making your request.
- While an individual who knows a student’s FERPA PIN may view confidential records within a student’s file, copies of documents will not be released to anyone other than the student.
- Student education information is confidential and is not to be disclosed by employees to anyone without consent, including other Liberty University employees (unless they have a legitimate educational interest).