Home Financial Aid Loans



Loan Programs

Federal Direct Loans: Students looking to finance their education with loans should first consider borrowing Federal Direct Loans. These loans require that you complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as well as a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. Federal Direct Loans include:

  • Unsubsidized Loan: This is a non-credit based loan and the first recommendation for students planning on using loans. To apply, you will need to complete your Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling at studentaid.ed.gov.
  • Graduate PLUS Loan: This is a credit-based loan but is much less stringent than the credit requirements for most private loans. To apply, please visit studentaid.ed.gov and follow instructions under “Apply for a PLUS Loan” and completing the “PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students.”

Private Loans: These are credit-based loans that should be considered as a last resort for students looking to finance their education. For more information and a list of private lenders, visit elmselect.com. To apply, please follow instructions on the private lender’s website. Due to credit expiration timeframes, borrowers should avoid applying more than 90 days prior to the start date of classes.

Loan Details

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

 Private Loans

    * Visit the federal student aid website for more information 

    Making Loan Adjustments

    If you would like to request adjustments to your student loans, please fill out the appropriate Loan Change Request Form and allow adequate time for processing. All Loan Change Request Forms that would be applicable to you can be found online in your ASIST account under the “Financial Aid Forms” section for the appropriate Award Year.

    • Unsubsidized Loan: From the list of available forms, select the “Federal Direct Student Loan Change Form.” In the drop-down menu, select the appropriate aid year and follow instructions for completing the “Direct Stafford Loan Change Form.”
    • Graduate PLUS Loan: From the list of available forms, select the “Federal Direct Student Loan Change Form.” In the drop-down menu, select the appropriate aid year and follow instructions for completing the “Graduate PLUS Loan Change Form.”
    • Private Loan: From the list of available forms, select the “Private Loan Change Form.” This form must be printed and signed by hand. Once completed, please submit the form by email to the LUCOM Financial Aid Office at LUCOMFinancialAid@liberty.edu for review.

    Loan Repayment and Forgiveness Programs

    During the final academic year and after graduation, qualifying students will have the opportunity to apply for various loan repayment and forgiveness programs directed toward meeting shortage regions or specialties available through a variety of federal and state government programs, institutions, and non-profit agencies. These programs can help to significantly reduce the total amount of loans that a student is responsible to pay back. A few of the programs include, but are not limited to:

    National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Programs (LRP):

    The NHSC Loan Repayment Program offers licensed primary care health providers the opportunity to have their student loans repaid while serving in communities with limited access to care.

    The NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program provides loan repayment assistance to medical students in their final year of school in return for a commitment to provide primary care services in eligible Health Profession Shortage Areas (HPSAs) of greatest need.

    State Loan Repayment Programs are open to primary care providers deemed eligible in participating States. Providers apply to the individual State program.

    Public Service Loan Forgiveness: The PSLF Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time by certain public service employers.

    Federal Loan Repayment Plans: Finally, there are a variety of flexible loan repayment options available after graduation, residency, and/or fellowship for students borrowing federal loans. For more information on which plan works best for you, visit the federal student aid website or contact your financial aid advisor directly.

    Tracking Your Loans

    You may track your federal and private loans during the life of the loan to stay informed on amounts, payments, accrued interest, and other available options.


    For more information or questions related to available loan programs, loan repayment plans, and tracking loans, please email the LUCOM Financial Aid Office at LUCOMFinancialAid@Liberty.edu.