Philosophy of Education
What We Believe
The philosophy of LUOA is based on the premise that man’s ultimate purpose is to glorify God (Isaiah 43:7; 1 Corinthians 10:31). Thus, LUOA serves as an extension of students’ families to aid them in their God-given responsibility to educate their children for the glory of God (Psalm 78:5-6). LUOA exists to help students reach their full potential by guiding them in developing spiritually, morally, personally, socially, and academically (Luke 2:52; Colossians 1:9-10). The faculty and staff recognize that only when students accept Jesus Christ as Savior and yield to His Lordship can they realize their unique potential (Romans 10:10-13).
LUOA is a K-12 school that exists as a department of Liberty University. Teachers and administrative staff must be professed born-again Christians who are committed to living for Jesus Christ, understanding that their lives serve as an example to those they teach.
Education and learning are biblical imperatives (Deuteronomy 6:6-7; Proverbs 3:1-9); therefore, all instruction is biblically-based (Deuteronomy 4:2-9). LUOA designed the curriculum based on the following biblical themes:
- Creation – God’s mandate at creation was for mankind to have dominion over the earth (Genesis 1:26-28), which has grown to require learning in the areas of language, mathematics, the physical and natural sciences, history, technology, and the fine arts.
- The Fall of Man – The hostile environment resulting from the fall of man (Genesis 3:9-24) intensifies the need to gain an in-depth understanding of all curricular areas in light of God’s written Word.
- Redemption – Man is saved by professing Jesus Christ as Lord (Romans 10:10; Ephesians 2:8). LUOA writes curriculum with the intent of teaching all students this biblical truth.
- Discipleship – The command for Christians to evangelize the lost and to disciple believers (Matthew 28:18-20) further elevates the need to master all of the above areas.
- Restoration – Jesus rose from the dead and prepares a place for all those who believe in order that they may be restored to Him (Hebrews 9:28; John 14:3).
To work toward its vision, LUOA seeks to provide support to parents/guardians in their biblical responsibility to train their children to become Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential to impact the world.
Liberty University Online Academy (LUOA) seeks to lead students to faith in Jesus Christ, to develop young men and women who adhere to a Christian worldview, and to prepare them to participate as godly members of their home, church, and community.