The Importance of Ski/Snowboard Lessons

May 27, 2021

Written by Isaac Gibson, Programs Coordinator

If you were to ask someone if they have ever skied or snowboarded there are usually two main responses: “Yes, I love skiing. I go every year!” or “I went once and it was so hard. I spent more time on the ground than I did on my skiis.” Over the years, I have learned that people either fall in love and continue riding for nearly the rest of their life, or they have a terrible experience and never do it again. In the end, it all comes down to that first experience, and I highly recommend the first experience being a lesson with a trained instructor.

It’s Like Driving

I describe skiing/snowboarding for the first time like getting in a car to drive for the first time. If you get in with no experience, no one telling you how to properly operate the vehicle, and go straight out onto a busy highway… the result will most always end in an accident. There is a reason why Driver’s Education and behind the wheel instruction is required to get your driver’s license. It’s not because the act of driving is incredible difficult to learn, but rather because of the high level of danger that comes along with it. In the same way, skiing and snowboarding is not that difficult to learn, but if you try without instruction you are probably going to fall a lot and potentially injure yourself or someone else.

Importance of Instruction

Much like driving a car, the better instruction you have and the more time you are able to dedicate to it, the more confident you will be out on the slopes. There is a reason why the average driver can jump into the car and not think twice about driving down the road. It becomes second nature because of how frequently we drive. You can expect the same for the ski slope. After getting the basics down in a lesson, continuously putting in time will increase your skills! Next thing you know, you’ll be skiing top to bottom without thinking about your every move.

In Summary…

Take a lesson, you won’t regret it. You will learn so much quicker and your experience will most likely leave you wanting to come back for more! Once you feel comfortable and confident, go out on your own. If you have something you want to learn and don’t know how, take another lesson!

Go at your own pace! Everyone learns differently and progresses at different rates. So, don’t get discouraged if you take longer to learn something than your friend.

In the end it’s all about having fun! So, make it your own and don’t feel like you have to look like everyone else on the hill.

Once you learn how to do it well, share it! There is nothing better than teaching someone how to ski or snowboard and seeing them fall in love just like you did!