Food for Fuel
August 27, 2020
Written by Danielle Ledgerwood and Hayley Swenski, Intramural Sports Staff
Whether you’re about to spend the next hour crushing it in the Training Loft, or you have an indoor soccer game at 7 p.m. — your nutrition matters! Next time you’re heading out to exercise, or you just finished an intense game of volleyball, consider some of these healthy and effective snacks.
These are some snack ideas to give you the energy you need to power through anything. Ideally, eat one of these 30-60 minutes before you plan to exercise.
- You can customize this however you want! Include dried fruit, seeds, a grain (cheerios, pretzels, popcorn), and almonds, and you’re good to go! Trail mix is a great source of protein, fat, carbs, and fiber before a workout.
Greek yogurt, fruit and granola
- This snack is both cheap and effective. It’s also incredibly customizable — add what you want for fast, metabolizing protein and fat. The fruit and granola also add a great carb source to keep you full and energized for your workout.
- Easy to store and grab on the go for an extra boost of energy. Make sure to make these ahead of time, and let them cool in your fridge. You can find plenty of recipes on the internet, but this is a great one.
After you finish up, you’re going to need some post-workout/post-game protein to help your muscles recover. These are some ideas of things to eat 30-60 minutes after for optimal absorption!
- For something more filling, opt for a lean protein, like turkey, with a whole grain wrap and veggies of choice to create the perfect combination of protein, carbs, and fiber to help your muscles recover after a workout.
- Add Greek yogurt, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, almond milk, cinnamon, and a few ice cubes and blend. For extra protein, add a vanilla protein powder. This works great if you’re constantly on the go, and it’s packed full of protein, carbs, fat, and antioxidants for a refreshing post-workout recovery.
Research the best option for what your body needs (low sugar, higher protein, etc.), and grab some at your local grocery store. It’s a super quick and easy snack between the gym and wherever you need to be next!
It’s important to find healthy and delicious snacks that fit within your lifestyle and help you improve performance and achieve all your fitness goals!