Learn important steps to take when applying to medical school at the next LUCOM Open House.
As you start to think about medical school and the application process, the Office of Admissions provides a pre-medical school checklist below. The checklist is meant to guide each prospective student within the early stages of their medical education.
- Visit the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM).
- Get involved by shadowing medical professionals, volunteering at local organizations, participating in prehealth activities on campus, and joining premedical organizations such as Pre-SOMA. Keep a chronicle of your experiences.
- Research the medical schools you are interested in attending and review their requirements for admission; review LUCOM’s Admissions Requirements.
- Be sure to take all the required pre-requisite course work, study hard, and make the grades.
- Begin thinking about your personal philosophy, a personal statement, as it relates to becoming an osteopathic physician.
- Seek guidance from your pre-medical advisor and attend health profession fairs.
- Prepare for and take the MCAT examination.
- Review the AACOMAS application process and apply early. Ensure that you allow yourself ample time to complete each step of the process.
- Be prepared to write and speak about your service activities and experiences.
- Begin building relationships with an osteopathic physician(s), biomedical faculty, advisors, and other leaders related to your desired profession. You will need to obtain letters of recommendation from those who will accurately evaluate your performance and experience.
- Practice your interview skills and research the current needs within the profession and relevant legislation. Research the history of the profession and do not rely on surface information alone.
Have questions about the recommended steps above?
Email LUCOM Office of Admissions.